1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Putting A Plow On My Jeep TJ Unlimited

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 32vld, Oct 28, 2015.

1. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Last year I maxed out on the amount of work I could handle with my two snow blowers.

I do mostly residential with two small commercials. One commercial has a 88 x 11 drive with a 50 x 50 lot in the rear and the other has a 50 x 50 lot.

So yesterday I went to the closest dealer. He's not open after 5 PM when there are storms. He wanted to sell me a Snow Dog Stainless, chain lift, no down pressure, 6'8", $4,000 installed. It had a trip plow not a trip edge.

He then had a 6'8" Snowex, down pressure, $5,250 installed.

I need a plow that will back drag well away from garage doors. From reading here I was leaning towards a Fisher, Boss, Western, plow with hand held control. I like the idea of having a stainless steel mold board.

So I need advice from the knowledgeable veterans on what brands, what features do I need?

Trip edge VS trip plow?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

First, do you want down pressure or not?

Trip edge vers full trip is all a matter of opinion.

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I have used
    fisher strait blade for 28 years (trip edge and backdrag edge)
    I also have used Boss V plow for 6 years (full trip with down pressure that I added)
    1 year with Meyer V (trip edge and backdrag edge)

LOVE the V
    HATE the Full trip
    Backdrag edge out performs the Down Pressure

4. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I see NOTHING about down pressure on Snowex's site. To my knowledge Snoway still holds the patent on that. They may have "scrape lock" which won't allow the blade to lift when back dragging, but not put pressure down to the ground. It also looks like this blade only weighs about 300 lbs. You're going to have a hard time back dragging at all with a blade that weighs that little. If it were my rig I'd look at some of the Boss UTV V plows. There have been some guys on here who modified them to fit their Jeeps with great success.

5. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I used a Snoway for many years. The down pressure was a great feature and made back dragging a breeze.

6. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I know that I want to be able to back drag away from garage doors and leave the surface clean enough to not have to touch it up without a shovel.

Now the first plow salesman said I needed down pressure to back drag well. Then with the same mouth he told the Snow Dog would back drag well also. My opinion he is just willing to say whatever he can to sell me a plow, any plow. Instead of selling me the right plow for me.

You know more then me do I need down pressure or not?

Side note not sure if I can afford a Daniels pull plow. Though I have heard of people setting up their Wranglers with a plow on the front and a pull on the rear.

7. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I must of gotten the names mixed up. When I wrote the info on the sales brochure the ink smeared on the glossy paper.

8. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I would tell you to get a Daniels pull plow since you mentioned it. It will make plowing drives and getting close to garage doors so much easier and faster. Then it won't matter what's on the front. Scrapes clean too.

9. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I would say you need down pressure or the scrape lock.
    Look at the prices of the pull plows before you decide on anything.

10. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I have not used a pull plow but;
    How can a pull plow let you get closer to garage doors?

the way I see it
    You back up to the garage the plow is 6 to 7 ft behind my eyes, you have to use side mirrors to see it and the garage OR crane your neck and look through the back window and right rear window. Even looking through the right rear window I dont think I would be able to see the plow. makes it difficult to judge distance when you cant see one of the objects.

With a front plow the plow is ~8 feet in front of my eyes (~2 feet further) But I can see the plow ends I can see the garage I have much better depth perception looking forword than I do using mirrors or looking sideways over my shoulder.

11. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

Go with a 7' 6" Sno Way with down pressure. Is the only plow you will be happy with long term! I speak after 4 TJ's-2 with Meyers and 2 with Sno Way. It got to the point that the Meyers would just sit.

12. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Yes, you are right about distance from the garage door being similar with pull vs front plow, but my front plows have deflectors and that makes getting as close with the front plow to back drag slightly more difficult. Not much I would say though. Using the pull plow is not as difficult as you make it sound once you use it for a few times. I just use my side mirrors and have lighted plow markers on the pull plows + additional back up lights so I can see it well. Light snows, back dragging with the front plow is easy and faster, but heavier snows the pull plow is a better scrape and faster because of the down pressure. Especially with the light plows being put on the front of a Jeep. I know you mentioned you added down pressure to your set ups as well as back drag blades so I'm sure you get a good scrape as well. Drifting snow is usually a problem close to garage doors and I think the pull plow gets to that stuff much easier.

13. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

How has the poly mold board held up on the 7'6" Snoway.

Boss HTX 7'0" and 7'6" come stainless though there is only one Boss dealer on Long Island. About 30 minute drive.

SnowDogg has several dealers close to my house and their stainless.

Fisher dealer about 20 minutes and that plow has a hydraulic scrape lock for back dragging. Though mold board is poly.

14. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Never had a problem with the mold board on mine. Still running strong after eight years.

15. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

2 yrs ago I had a 90" pull plow quoted, cost was around $2,800.00 with shipping to Co.

16. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Snoway no longer has the lexan moldboards. They're all steel now. They're good plows if you've got dealer support close to you.

17. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Had, as you do not have it any more?

What brand, how well did it work?

18. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Today I did some more shopping.

Dealer handles Western, Fisher. When I got there a woman was giving me prices but did not know much. Then she handed me over to a salesman. HE said they also sell Meyer and I would be better off with that one because it had a steel mold board making that plow stand up better with me doing commercial then using the Suburbanites. And the Meyer will back drag better then the Western/Fisher.

Meyer 6'8" $3,995 installed out the door plus tax.

Snowdogg 6'8" $4,000 installed out the door plus tax.

So far I leaning towards the Meyer.

19. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

Sounds like you went to Dejana

20. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Yes I did. How is their reputation?

Any other dealers that you would recommend, or recommend to stay away from.