1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Putting a plow on my 86 toyota

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks' started by Stinson, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Stinson

Stinson Junior Member

Hey guys,

I have an 86 toyota that I use for off roading and moving wood and such around my property. I have a long gravel drive way that is sort of steep that I would like to plow.

I live in MD, so we only get 2-5 decent snow falls per winter. Anyway I picked up an old rusty Meyer ST 78 with an E-46 pump, up and down only. The pump is in rough shape and leaks, and im sure would need a complete rebuild. The ram is pretty rusty too.

Anyway, I will have to do some extensive modification to make the plow mount work on my truck so I was thinking about ditching the pump and using an ATV winch.

Any thoughts, would I regret not having the pump? I will only be using this plow for my driveway. Thanks
  2. nhgranite

nhgranite Senior Member
    from N.H

you'll get frustrated soon with an atv winch. i had a 3000 on my my 700 and that struggled to get the blade up when it was wet snow or hitting the pile. you can get a snow way or snow dog. never seen one but i heard they work well on small trucks. add some ballast to the bed.
  3. 2003mikem

2003mikem Junior Member

4. CQR

CQR Junior Member

Nice write up 2003mikem, I'm glad I didn't see it until after I made mine. I converted a setup from a jeep CJ. So far on year 2 and no problems yet. And its a couple of electrical connectors and 4 bolts to take the pump assembly and lights off for the summer.
  5. S-205

S-205 Senior Member
    from Ontario

What hanger are you running on your SAS? I don't think anyone on here has built a plow mount with a solid axle swapped rig, but the 85 that he ^^^ has would be a good reference.
    Nice rig I have an 85 4Runner, if you're interested in ditching the pump in favour of a winch. Just buy a used 8k winch, and use it for wheeling and the plow.