1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Putting a plow on my 1994 Toyota 4x4 Ext Cab., 6 cyl.

Discussion in 'Import and Other Trucks (Light Duty)' started by andersnd, Dec 28, 2004.

1. andersnd

andersnd Junior Member

Fantastic Site! I am looking into putting a used plow on my '94 Toyota PU, and I understand a 7 ' is probably my best bet. Can list members advise me as to considerations regarding frame attachment, etc. that I need to be thinking about. I used to plow with a Ford F150 when I lived in Maine 10 years ago, but the Toyota is a very different beast. There are a bunch of used plows out there in the 6' to 7' range (Fishers, Meyers, etc), but few of them have come off of a Toyota.

2. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Plow for Toyota

Get a 6 1/2 foot Western Standard duty unimount. It's all I ever used on Toyotas (including my Tacomas) and they work great! Better move fast cause Western is in the process of discontinuing the standard duty plows in smaller (less than 7 1/2 foot) sizes. Ignore all the bunk about using the Western sport utility plow or the suburbanite/homesteader - they're too light duty and far too weak. If you have a 5 speed you might up to the 7 foot standard but no heavier than that. FYI, the automatic trans is the weak link in any Toyota truck; the rack and pinion steering (Tacoma only) is the weak link in the Tacomas...

Last edited: Dec 28, 2004
  3. lawlopez

lawlopez Member

I have a 6.5 ' Fisher on a '93.
    works ok.
    could use a lift kit, though.
    Likes to drag the plow.

But my it works out well.

Most days my wife swipes and plows our driveway!

4. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 6'8" Snoway on my 96 4runner.....has worked great for 2 seasons.

Derek

5. lawlopez

lawlopez Member

I like the fisher because i have it.

The minute mount takes way more than a minute.

still, it's not that bad.

how much trouble are the other mounts ?

6. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

I always ran Western Unimounts on my Toys/Tacomas - They're probably just a little better than the Fisher, take about 5-10 minutes and only a few minor struggles pushing it around to get it on and off. Not bad with the 6 1/2 std plow cause it's only about 500 pounds. For a little truck it moves snow though!

I'd never buy another one for a full size truck since they came out with the Ultramount.Too bad they don't make the Ultramount for the small trucks, that's the ticket.

7. dmontgomery

The Snoway takes 1 minute or less. 3 Pins and 2 cables...

Derek

8. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Just out of curiosity how much does the sno-way weigh???

9. dmontgomery

300 lbs. is what the Snoway weighs

10. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Okey dokey - The Western 6 1/2 and the Fisher 6 1/2 each go about 500 lbs...