1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

putting a plow on a diesel

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by show-n-go, Feb 6, 2009.

1. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

i went to two places to buy a new plow and neither of them will install the plow on my truck. they said with the diesel there will be to much weight on the front.. what is the problem, i see plenty of diesel trucks running around with plows.. do i need to do something special to make this work.. my 7.3 can't weigh that much more than a v-10

2003 ford excursion 7.3 4x4 wesport
  2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

You can't get much heavier than that rig LOL
  3. mnconst

mnconst Member
    from indiana

I have a 03 dodge cummins 2500 with a wide out on it and the dealer would not install it I had to do it, not that big of a deal did it in about 4 hours. Also I have installed all of my plows about 9 times on different trucks. You wont have any problems with it
  4. gary42095

gary42095 Member

when i bought my 99 f350 the first place i went to would not do it either... too heavy... fisher says it would take over 1,000lb of ballast weight to make it safe. that was the speech i got. called around and found someone else to take my money :rolleyes:
  5. salt dogg

salt dogg Senior Member
    from Boston

i had fisher plow mounted on 08 ford f350 with 6.4 diesel. fisher dealer never mentioned anything to me about being to much weight. it handles it with no problem at all. does your truck have the snow plow prep? which i believe is just the front end beefed up a little.
  6. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Im assuming you have either a reg cab or ext cab long bed?

The problem they wont install them on a 4 door shortbed or exursion because of the issues. If you plow with the family and friends along then your overweight. Thats thier reasoning! Pretty lame if you ask me
  7. salt dogg

salt dogg Senior Member
    from Boston

actually i have a crew cab short bed. i also run two yard sander in the bed, which was in when plow was installed. you are correct though their reasoning is lame.
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Keep looking, someone will, they're morons.
  9. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Morons. Hee hee.:D

I had to first LIE to the guy just to buy the thing, then I had to install it myself. The hardest part was drilling my firewall and wiring up the plow headlights, for me, that is. I suck at wiring.
  10. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

thats just what i want is 8 people back seat driving while i plow... lol

thanks guy's i figured it did'nt matter
  11. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

fisher says i can only put a 7.6 SD on my crewcab 250 diesel i have a 8ft HD fisher instead hehe truck handles it just fine but im also running half a vbox of sand in the back for ballast
  12. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

You got 2 options Buy a new one or buy a used one. The post on a few sites you want it installed and explain your situation. We are in a reccesion. Someone will install it for you. So post here under repair you need an install or post on Craglist. Bring it to there house and check it out. If you see a guy with 5k tool box no worrys. But even if they dont have a pricey box doesnt mean they dont know how to do it.
  13. fisher guy

well said but check around alot of dealers will do it and they will do it cheap i found out as long as u stay away from Factory Authorized dealers. they have to play it by the book and get in big trouble if they dont. the lil guys could care less the'll recommend otherwise but theyre just out for a buck. usually install runs anywhere from 200 to about 500 depending on ur area dont get ripped off and always agree on a price first before any work is done no matter who it is simple stuff but it does get looked over from time to time sorry big dave just had to throw my 2 cents
  14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Try Snoway, they have fits for your truck. Do you have Plowprep? the Ford Diesel needs to have the clutch fan changed out if you don't.
  15. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

i doubt it has plow prep. im the second owner is there any way to tell if it has that.
    it does have the trans and oil coolers with the hevy duty tow package.. does ford offer the clutch fan that i will need?
  16. fisher guy

check first before u buy the clutch fan cuz my truck doesnt have the plow prep and its a diesel and its only a 250 my truck iys from florida and has been its whole life (i have original paperwork from when truck was new) so check with ur local ford dealer before u spend the money but i would recommend timbrens at the very least my truck handles the weight quite well but i think ur heavier then me
  17. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

I have lots of ford diesels, 1995 up to 2006, all with 8.5- 9 ft fishers. Blades have sideplates and back drag. All were installed at fisher dealer , most of 'em when trucks were new. Plow plus 800 lbs ballast and you'll be fine. Most of the trucks have plow prep option.
  18. fisher guy

it becomes a liabillty issue when the plow is over the axle limits fisher could be held responsible if they said it was ok and the truck got in a wreck see if i had a reg cab with the 6.0 i could easy go with a 9ft no probs but the crew cab is what screws me so fisher says i can only get a 7.6 SD i carry no less then 1,000lbs ballest at all times when the plow is on though
  19. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

I hear ya.
    I have 4 duallys, two crewcabs and one extendacab, all have 8.5 fishers, 5-9 yrs running. No issues.
    Well, only driver related issues.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  20. fisher guy

sweetness good to hear now i feel better about my purchase