1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Putting a plow of the X

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by bdlawncare, Nov 12, 2011.

1. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

Okay so i have got all my stuff done and next on the list is to putt a plow on the Excursion.... Now I know I am opening up a dark closet with this one but in your opinion what Plow do you think I should putt on it... Now I have pretty much narrowed it down to to either blizzard or western both dealerships are equally accessible and they both seem like great brands looking at the 8 ft straight blades... Whats your guys opinions and suggestions! Pics as soon as it gets installed:)

2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Western MVP with wings.....just 'cause that's what I got.

3. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

I will be doing a few large driveways with it I don't know if the wings will fit.... But other than that how do you like it as a Plow rig

4. gbtl

gbtl Member

blizzard 810, narrow for drives,and opens to 10 for larger areas

5. nicks_xj

nicks_xj Senior Member

Throw a wideout on her

6. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

I don't know if I have the quantity of large lots to justify a wideout... Well the cost of one atleast! Hmm it looks like I have to do some thinking but what do you guys think about the blizzard or western straightblades? What do you think is a better plow I have heard some negative things about blizzard but alot of people seem to be really happy with them on here so it got me thinking which one would be better for me... Oh and do you guys think the X could hold a wideout? I feel like it would be a little heavy no?

7. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

Sorry for the un organized response

8. gbtl

gbtl Member

DD bought Blizzard for the power wings patent and designs. the western wideout is a western copy, so pretty much the same thing. an excursion would be fine with an 810, may say not if diesel. but some guys run with diesel anyways. i have 2 blizzard 8000hd and i love them

9. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

Woops forgot to mention it is. Diesel

10. gbtl

gbtl Member

i just checked the quickmatch thing and it says biggest is 9ft hd. but you can do what you want. you can always beef stuff up.

11. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

I guess so, well I don't really know what i should do... I def don't want a 9 ft for it I'm going to use it for driveways but I also am not sure that I want to spend 6500 on a wide out or pp that's why I was wondering who you guys thought made a better straightblade...

12. gbtl

gbtl Member

who? western and blizzard are both Douglas Dynsmics (along with fisher). i have blizzzards, i like the design. but i like fishers trip edge, which western uses on some plows. so they are equal.

13. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

Okay do you know if they run the same hydraulics someone once told me that blizzard hydros were slow

14. gbtl

gbtl Member

different. western has chain lift

15. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

Alright thanks for the clarification

16. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

It's great with the wings on. The wings can be put on and off in a few seconds - they slip into brackets already on the plow and then have a pin to secure them. Can just throw them in the back of the truck if you don't want them on.

They add 6" to each side, so it makes a 8.5' blade 9.5'.

The main benefit to me for the wings is that they make the plow a super scoop because the wings are angled in and really help keep the snow in your plow.

I used to put the wings on just when I felt that I needed them, but I left them on all last winter and had no issues, They do hang down low when you're just driving around; have to put the plow in scoop mode sometimes when going in and out of parking lots where there is a dip, otherwise the ends may scrape on the pavement. Not a big issue though..

17. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

Okay i actualy am going to have to back drag a good amount of driveways is the c plow by hiniker a viable option? Or is it to heavy for the x? Oh btw it hAs upgraded f350 springs in the front