1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

putting a hd75 on a 2003 chevy tahoe

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by badgerfan, Nov 9, 2014.

1. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

I run a decent size snow and ice management business and have a real wheel drive sports car that I use in the warmer months(terrible in snow). I picked up a good condition 2003 Tahoe to drive in the winter due to the 4 wheel drive and reasonable price for 3 months of driving. I have 3/4 and 1 ton trucks that do most of our plowing along with our subcontractors. I decided to put a plow on the Tahoe and am having a snowdog hd75 installed on it next week. I decided to go with the hd75 over the md75 due to it being only 200 dollars more and I can put the plow on a bigger truck if I ever pull it off my Tahoe. The dealer is going to crank down the torsion bars and install timbrens in the front. I won't be assigning a route to this truck but may help on a few accounts when necessary. Does anyone have thoughts on if this will be a decent setup for relatively moderate use? Also any thoughts on the snowdog hd plow? I have not owned a snowdog before.

Will post some picks of this setup when I get it in a few days I'm interested to see how the Tahoe will handle the 680 lbs. Hope the Timbrens keep it from sagging too much.

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

700 lbs. with turned torsion bars and timbrens should be fine for "occasional use". Some people would even use that as a daily route driver. Not me, but many people. I have a Snowdogg and love it. Haven't had any problems with mine yet. I'd still throw some tube sand in the very rear to offset some of the front end weight, but other than that I think you should be good to go. Where'd you buy, CPW?

3. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

yeah thanks for the feedback jeff, I will see how the snowdog does. Figure I will put about 300 lbs in the back of the thing to balance it out a little. Im picking it up at hannas rv in kenosha on tuesday. Also getting a saltdog tgs07 taipgate salter out on one of my chevy 2500. Most of my trucks are up at the shop in milwaukee area. We Just expanded down to chi area this year.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  4. JustJeff

I'm in Round Lake, about seven miles West of Gurnee, so we're pretty close.

5. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Cool man, do you ever make it into the city? I live in the bucktown area. Always a good tine to grab a beer and talk shop!

6. JustJeff

I plow exclusively in the City. North side. A lot of AT&T business offices, Chase banks, and now a lot of the CPS.

7. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Nice sounds like you have a pretty good sized operation. Most my stuff is in the burbs. Do you do allot of salting?

8. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Was trying to keep the new snowdog hd75 plow setup as a backup in my snow operation but have had to put one of my guys in there on a route. I have also plowed a little bit with it this winter so far. First of all the 03 chevy Tahoe is tougher than I anticipated and plows very well with about 250 pounds of weight in the back to balance it out. Even though the plow is heavier than I should put on it the Timbrens keep it from sagging much in front. The new snow dog is performing well and as long as you know your limits with this setup frankly it is a very cost effective addition to my company.

9. jrs 94

jrs 94 Junior Member

Badgerfan,

Second season with the 2002 Tahoe and MD75, Timbrems do a nice job. I took my torsion bars up 3.5 turns. Truck dips about 3/4 of an inch with the plow hanging and no weight in the back. Do you know how many turns they tightened your torsion bars? My truck measures 26 inches from ground to top of bumper closest to the tires with the plow off. I am very pleased with the Tahoe so far. Good luck

10. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

That's an everyday truck up here, see them all the time ! They will push a lot of snow but visibility sucks