1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

putting a fisher xls on a 2500hd chevy

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by arborist, Sep 20, 2013.

1. arborist

arborist Junior Member
    from toledo

I have a 2013 chevy 2500hd 4*4 with the heavier trailer pulling package but no plow prep package can I still put a fisher xls on it with out the prep package or any other kind of plow just curious

2. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

If you dont mind voiding your warrenty you can put any plow , but to keep it you can have none.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ask your dealer first. See what they say.

4. arborist

arborist Junior Member
    from toledo

Thanks I did call my service manager and they said they would warranty the truck but I put 20, 000 miles a year on a vehicle so warranty won't last long I just didn't know if theybhad heavier torson bars with the plow package or with out I was told two different things

5. dieselss

You could look up what the p.p. could be tho. It's not anything major ill tell you that

6. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

plow prep is usually just a second battery and a slightly better alternator

7. arborist

arborist Junior Member
    from toledo

thanks everyone,
    yeah I know the prep package includes skitplate, pre wired amber light button bigger alternator. I read on the dealer list those things but on chevy website the pakage says it includes heavier torsion bars I just didn't know if that was true or not cause the dealer didn't know anything about that. I just didn't know if anyone else has put the blizzard 810 or fisher xls power wing plows on one with out the prep package or not

8. dieselss

I did on my 96 GMC. And I got it now on my 350. And I'm kinda thinking that a few if our 05-07s don't have the prep and they got 810s

9. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

No they didn't put heavier torsion bars. they just turned em up some. do yourself a favor and make sure you put timbren's on the front . makes it much nicer to plow with. lot less front squat when lifting blade.

10. arborist

arborist Junior Member
    from toledo

Thanks everyone again, ive used the blizzard 810 and love it but now im torn between a fisher xls and the snowway 29r box plow the snow way has down pressure and weighs 200+ lbs less than fisher but is about the same cost for me as the fisher

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, they do. There are specific T-bars for plow prep equipped trucks 2011-current. Which is also why they don't automatically require Timbrens with a heavier plow as was normally the case with the pre-2010 trucks.

12. arborist

arborist Junior Member
    from toledo

in regards to torsions bars

is it still going to be ok putting a 850 lb heavier plow on it with out the heavier torsion bars

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Depends on the specifics of the truck. Gas/Diesel and front axle rating. All which determine which bars it's currently equipped with.

14. arborist

arborist Junior Member
    from toledo

axles.

I got a truck with the heavier equipped trailering towing package I have the 6.0 vortec gas I have the 4800 lbs front axle and 6200 rear.
    my buddy has the plow prep on his truck and his axles rating are the same but he has a 07 carries a blizzard 8 10 but gets some sag

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

4800 lb will hold it with enough ballast against the tailgate but not ideally and you'll likely be over the axle rating regardless. You leave a lot on the table not getting a minimum 5200 lb axle when a plow may be planned but that's a moot point after the fact. Simply stating for fact.

16. schrader

schrader PlowSite.com Addict

Is the clutch fan not different? I had to change the clutch fan on my 05 without plow prep because it would over heat with the plow on. The plow prep clutch fan was a different part number.

17. arborist

arborist Junior Member
    from toledo

over heat

most plows will cause a truck to run hot when they are all the way up cause the wind is being defected off the blade and not hitting your grill on the truck we usually drive with are plows lowered enough to keep from getting hot