1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

putting a fisher 8.5 mvp together at my shop

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by probee, Dec 11, 2004.

1. probee

probee Member

I was woundering how hard and how long it will take me to assemble and hang a plow on a 2004 dodge 2500HEMI . I own plows, but this will be my first time hanging a plow.if you could tell me any information that might be helpful I would appreciate the input.also undercarriage, willI have to take the plactic air flow off the bumper to make it fit? THE PLOW IS A FISHER MVP 8.6 THANK YOU
  2. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

probably 11-16 hours if you have never done it before..
  3. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Not an unrealistic time estimate. Still feel that the time you spend here will help you understand and troubleshoot in the future.

Maybe Fisher's directions are a little more vehicle specific, my BOSS is great if you've installed them before, but with every truck different, they are pretty vague in several area's. The written instructions were adequate, however, I could have used more pictures or drawings.

Another thing that I am doing is I am getting very precise with everything. Had to drill 2 holes through the firewall. Had the time to prime the bare metal from the holes, paint the primer, and seal the grommets well with RTV. Ran all wires very well and protected them very well. Put never-seize on all bolts, touched up any paint chips/scratches, using stainless steel hardware where needed. All things that would have NEVER been done by a plow shop installing a snowplow in December.

Take your time. Read all instructions at least 3 times before you actually install. Lay out and organize all your parts on a big sheet of cardboard. This way they are all easily accessable. Pay special attention to bolt lengths and grades as the installation goes. Some areas you can inadvertantly use an incorrect fastner, later finding out you need one that you already, mistakenly used.

Have an extra set of hands if you can. Certain parts are tricky when your solo.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i removed the air dam on my 04 ram . ill put it back when im ready to sell it
    also dont drill a hole in the fire wall, fish the wiring thru the grommet thats next to the master cylinder
  5. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

Anti-seeze all your bolts, put di-electric grease in all you plugs, and spray all your electrical connections with anti corrosion spray (usually available in the battery section of a car parts store). This stuff may seem trivial now, but you will thank yourself time and time again in the future and may even help prevent break downs too.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2004
  6. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

The hardest part of the this will be assembling the plow itself and installing and routing the wiring harness in truck and doing it neatly. Mounting the receiver mounts on truck is one of the easier parts in my opinion. Fisher gives good instructions and guides to follow. As to how long, a lot depends on your ability and tools (power tools and such) a "should" take 8 to 12 hours give or take to complete. (air tools can speed it up a lot if you have them) Myself I always use a bit of 90w oil on bolts for better anti rust properties than anti sieze will provide and rust is your number one enemy with plow hardware outside of object impact damage.
  7. probee

probee Member

hey thanks for the imformation,I will let you know how it went. I will be installing it myself ,because it is nice to know your equipment inside and out .thanks again