1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

puting myers plow on 89 ram charger

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by murphy4trees, Dec 16, 2008.

1. murphy4trees

murphy4trees Member

I have run a 7.5' myers plow on an 87 ram charger (2 door) for four or five years now and had another ram charger with same before that... I specialize in small driveways and tight parking lots and love the ram chargers because they take a beating and move the snow, very good turning in tight spots and have been generally very reliable even in fairly extreme conditions (for this part of the world which is philly) I've pushed my 87 really hard in a way no one would want to do to a new truck of any kind..

So I bought an 88 as a back up truck which has gotten promoted, since my buddy fried his two plow trucks, and I now have juts bought and gotten the body work done on an 89 Ram Charger... I have extra blades, pumps, wiring and controls and bought a undercarriage from the junk yard a while back. I think it came off a Dodge 250 pick though. I was planning on taking all that down to the myers master in Landsdowne PA, Mark kellerher, and let him put it on the truck..

One concern I have is that the undercarriage is made for a bigger truck and thus the plow will ride too low, which can cause it to scrape going up a steep drive. I could cut the undercarriage frame and raise and weld it, or maybe could beef up the suspension. The weight of that plow is already a bit much for that front end. We don't get a lot of snow events here... usually 2-6/year, and the truck is a back up right now, but may become my main plow truck down the road.

So the bottom line is I'd like to get it as close to right as possible while keeping expenses down. Maybe Kellerher will have some ideas. I've plowed with the low set up before, and got away with it...

Your thoughts are appreciated... and if there have already been a bunch of threads on this subject can someone point me in the right direction..

Thanks

2. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

every meyers mount i have had, you could adjust the box up or down a few inches.

I do not think bottoming out will be a problem. the plow box set 10inces infront of the front tires so you have to have a steep angle for them to hit.

Both my 86 W150 and 89 W250 have the box as low as i can get it, i can pull in without the plow on clear the parking blocks, in lots

3. rocknrollrednec

rocknrollrednec Senior Member

could you put 3/4 ton springs in the front? or helper springs maybe?

4. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

if the RC is a 150 LE, SE, or S it would already have the heavier 1350 front springs. All RC recived the 1850 rear springs. the only heaveir front springs dodge offered were for the W250 HD/SD and W350 SWR/DRW springs and they will be over kill for a RC