1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Put plow away in spring hook up yesturday nothing

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by jayman3, Oct 29, 2008.

1. jayman3

jayman3 Senior Member

As the title says it will only click the lights dim but nothing anybody have this problem.It is a 03 mm2 8hd.
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the connections are all good including the grounds then it's likely a seized motor. Sometimes tapping on the motor will restore them...briefly.
  3. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

definitely check all wiring, start with the ground. Had that problem last year when I hooked up the plow in the first storm (caught off guard) and nothing happened. Turned out to be a loose ground wire. Then move onto the motor I guess.
  4. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

Seeing how the lights dim it is probably struggling to try to turn the motor. Try tapping on it like B&B said. To pull the motor off pull the 2 bolts holding the motor and take the wires off. Be sure to hold the inner nut with a wrench while turning the outer one with the wires. Tap the motor with a rubber hammer to break it free. There is no mounting flange so the rotor may stay on the pump if it is seized it will pobably stay in the case the case There really is not much to those motors. Just a case and a rotor. the magnets stay in the case. You could clean it up and see if it works. If it does you still should buy a new one and keep that one for a spare
  5. jayman3

jayman3 Senior Member

Thanks for the hints guys talked to my dealer today and he thinks it is the motor so will go and pick one up and try that will let you all know.
  6. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Same here happened to our plow. I used Kleen Flo brake cleaner to spray all the corrosion out of the plugs prongs. Then put some FF on'er & away she went!

Hope its not a new pump needed? Let us know.....
  7. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Can always jump the motor with a power source to test, it's one of the test in Fisher's guides. but yeah sounds like the motor is the problem
  8. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I've had the same issue over the past 2 seasons- does this mean that my motor is on its way out? SHould it be replaced?

I found a motor on ebay that says it's for the "new flowstat systems" is this the pump I would need for my 2004 MMII Insta-Act? If not- what is the part # I need and where's the least expensive place to get one?

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sure quite possibly your's needs a fresh motor as well..again if you're sure all connections are good. During periods of non use it's not at all uncommon for a motor with some internal corrosion to have the brushes stick in the brush holders which causes the problem you've experienced.

I usually pull the end plate off the motor and check it's condition (for corrosion and brush life) before just replacing it. Sometimes they just need a light cleanup to restore good operation.
  10. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Okay- which end cap are you referring to- the one opposite the pump block (on the top of the motor itself)?

Do these motors just all of a sudden fail? Once it's moving for the season it's fine- so far. Pump isn't slow or anything once i get it freed up...

I may order a spare motor though- what's the correct fisher part # for an '04 (I think) MMII Insta-Act?
  11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct Matt but be forewarned, when you remove the through bolts that are on the cap plate you're also removing the motor assembly from the valve block so be sure to have a good grasp on it and don't allow it to fall apart while you do so.

Like any other kind of electric motor yes they can die instantly but they normally first tip you off by running a little slower or losing lifting power while drawing more AMP's than they should in the process. Thats why an AMP draw test is one of the basic fundamental tests when checking the health of a motor/plow.

21500-1. Doesn't matter if it's a Fisher or Western box as they're identical. And purchase an OEM one if you at all can, the cheaper knock off's may be less expensive but they don't live.
  12. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You got it Matt thats what you're after.
  14. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

What's entailed with replacing the motor on these?
  15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Loosen and remove the two thru bolts attaching the motor to the manifold and remove the motor. Note: the thru bolts also hold the motor together so it will likey come apart as you lift it off but doesn't matter of course since you're replacing it. Be sure to clean any rust/corrosion buildup from the manifold-to-motor mating surfaces before installing the new one.

When re-installing the new motor you have to be sure you hold it together until you get it set on the manifold, the drive tangs engaged, and the bolts inserted. Use a dab of anti-seize on the motor bolts and don't over tighten them. Technically they should be torqued to 50-60 in. lbs. but a 1/4 drive ratchet and hand pressure with some caution is accurate enough.

Nothing tough about it, just take your time and you'll do ok.
  16. peterzereski

peterzereski Junior Member
    from RI

did a motor replacement fix this?