1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Put it all together...

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by EZSnow, Sep 12, 2003.

1. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

Here's what I've got:

An agricultural 150-200 gallon sprayer with about 12' of sprayer booms (collapsible). It's got a three-point mount on it and is set up with a hydraulic drive.

An F-350 that can certainly handle the weight and will probably need the ballast.

Customers that NEED liquid de-icers... they just don't know it yet!

Any ideas for making this setup work on 12 volts? How much flow do I need to provide to lay the proper amount of product? How much hydraulic flow do I need to provide enough pressure to provide enough product... you get the idea. I'll try to snap a couple pics to help the creative process. Any ideas would be helpful.

2. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

If you do a search here you will find many posts stating that you will probably need to use a different pump and boom nozzles. I believe this is beacause of the great difference in the basic physical properties of deicing chemicals vs the lawn & shrub chemicals. I'm sure others with intimate knowledge of this stuff will chime in, but you can check out those old threads in the mean time to help with your research. Good luck!

3. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

I don't know if it makes any difference, but it was used an agricultural sprayer. (hence the three-point) It might have different style nozzles on it altogether...

4. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I think that any "chemical" sprayer, as opposed to a "deicer applicator" will have nozzles designed to work in a high pressure/low flow mode. Deicing chemicals need larger orifices, different fan patterns and willutilize lower operating presures. Liquid deicers should go down in a stream rather than a wide mist.

I'm not sure that any of the old threads covered actual orifice size/flow rate or application pressure.

I may be totally wrong about this, but I think the first thing to determine is nozzle type and size. From that you can figure how much material you wil be applying per minute. Flow per nozzle multiplied by number of nozzles will tell you how much pump you need.

I would guess that the ag sprayer will have nozzles too far apart for best deicer use, so it may be necessary to add nozzles between the ones already there. This goes back to stream vs spray at the nozzle. Spray nozzles are designed to work X distance above the ground (or crop) and the fan is determined by the need for the fan from each nozzle to intersect the fan from ajacdent (sp) nozzles. The deicer sprayers I've seen seem to lay a band of chemical about every foot across their width.

The sprayer I saw at SIMA Portland had a pressure regulator in the system so you could adjust output pressure and dump excess flow back to the tank.

Lots of "I thinks" in there, hopefully someone else can offer more specific input. I haven't had a lot of luck getting specifics so I could start working on a liquid system of my own. Plenty of factory built units available, but all too pricey for my tastes. The whole thing is pretty basic, you just need to know what to use with what else to make it all work right.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2003