1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Put all in brakes on and got a soft pedal

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dheavychevy38, Jan 6, 2010.

1. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 Senior Member

It's on the 03 chevy 2500 hd I just put all new calipers and pads and rotors on and can't seem to get it to bleed out all the way. Any ideas?

2. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

try opening all bleed out when on level ground. make sure master is full and let sit for a while and check master to make sure it remains full. After time gravity will take it's course. close bleed out when you have a constant flow.

3. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

Make sure your new calipers arent upside down. Happened to me and its very easy to do.

4. dheavychevy38

No there not lol

5. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

If any air gets trapped in the ABS unit you will need the dealers Tech2 to get the air out, nearly impossible without it.

6. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

Isn't the ABS unit just a sensor that monitors wheel slippage and thus overrides the pedal command?

7. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

nope. Its actually a moduale that the break fluid flows through alowing it to "pulsate" causing the pulsating breakage that is ABS

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  8. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

Really, never knew that that. I figured it was a type of sensor that just simply inerrupted the control of the break pedal when wheel slippage was detected.

9. thesnowman269

Yup. There are brake bleeders that pump the break fluid through the caliper up to the master cylinder. This will deffinatly eliminate all air in your lines and entire brake system if you are still having problems. Although like previously mentioned Letting the fluid flow for a couple minutes will do the trick but if that doesnt work You may want to look into one. Ill try and find the name of the company that makes it for you

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  10. thesnowman269

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Did you allow the system to run dry while swapping the calipers?

Do the bleeding with the pedal and the truck running as that is the most effective way to remove the air without commanding the ABS unit with a scanner. Which is really the proper and most effective way if you allowed a great deal of air to enter.

Don't waste your time or fluid on gravity bleeding. It isn't effective on these later model trucks.

12. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

and dont forget always start at the longest run from the master first.

on your truck its going to be right rear/left rear/right front/left front.

13. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

You might want to try opening the bleeder screw then push the brakes, close the bleeder screw while you are holding the brakes. Do this a few times to get the fluid in the system. Make sure you check the master cylinder because this moves alot of fluid and you don't want to run it empty.

14. dheavychevy38

No the system never went dry didn;t give a chance to. I will have to try it with the truck running. Thanks for the info guys. After some sleep I will check it out.

15. stacks04

stacks04 Senior Member
    from ct

gravity bleeding will work on these trucks, just not really effective when doing a major system overhaul like was performed here. if the truck never ran the master dry the abs unit should be fine, just continue to bleed starting with the rr, lr, rf, lf. should do you fine.

16. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

have run into several problems such as that on similar model years. had to hook up a pressure and vaccum bleeder here in the shop to fix.

17. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Is reverse bleeding a good Idea ???? I guess I have my doubts...

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Only if you flush the system first with a pressure bleed in the normal direction first. Otherwise all contaminates that generally settle to the lowest point in the system (such as the calipers) get forced back through some very expensive brake system components. Such as the ABS unit. Not good.

19. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Those were my thoughts but just wanted to clarify things ...
    Is it necessary to do a total flush at any time ??? Or just leave well enough a loan.??
    Thanks!!

20. stacks04

stacks04 Senior Member
    from ct

i got a spare cap and added a plastic vacuum type fitting to it through a hole i drilled in it. it works mint for sealing the system and putting my vacuum/pressure pump to it to force fluid through the system after you open the valves.