1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

put airbags on our 2500HD

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by PTSolutions, Mar 28, 2010.

1. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

Since the new enclosed is coming soon, the springs on our 02 HD are pretty tired. Got an awesome deal at truckspring.com for a set of riderite air bags, $256 with free shipping. i actually received them the next day.

the install wasnt bad, just lining everything up took a bit. they should help keep her from sagging now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

looks good, where did you run your air lines to?

3. PTSolutions

to the back bumper, to the right of the license plate and underneath the plastic door that covers the winch to the spare tire.

older pic but youd get the idea, right under that black square thing:
    [​IMG]

4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Have you noticed any ride differrence empty and when halling a load?

5. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

Your going to love them, once i put them on my truck they went on the rest of the trucks too. Did you get the onboard compressor too? Its not a pain to go without it but its nice to have especially taking them big loads out to Yankee Lake. :drinkup:

6. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I have the firestone ride rite 5000lbs also. I believe the same set and they are great. With a load it is the best ride ever. Without a load it is going to be stiffer,but just let out some air down to 10psi and you are good to go. It is a work truck so how great is the ride really going to be. Looks good. Every work truck I ever own will have them on them. :mechanic:

7. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Looks good. Once you use them you will never have another truck without them.
    I bought mine from Truckspring also, and paid around what you paid.
    I have pictures in my profile, but here is where I put mine:

4444444.jpg

8. PTSolutions

thanks guys, the rides prolly as stiff as it was when the springs were new. it has 50-60psi in them now, 80 psi gave it a crazy rake!

we have a set on our dump truck as well for the last few years. and ill be getting a set for our 350 to help when trailering our rc100 (16000lb=machine+trailer lol)

9. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Airbags look real nice!

I am so ready! I won't take my 2 work trucks mudding there only pull something but I would like to get a personal truck sometime in the next year to play with:D

10. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

we've got them on our old 77 f-100. love them i swear they'll raise the bumper a foot...

with 10-20 psi, the ride is a little bit more bouncy, but nothing serious. with a load.. your in heaven.

we keep one of them cheap 12V compressors behind the seat for airing up if we need too

11. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Give us a report on how much of a pita it is to have to stop somewhere to fill them up or let air out. I will have airbags in my truck by summer and can't decide if I wanna save the $$ and skip the on board compressor.

12. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

Go without the on board compressor and see if you like it or not, you can always add it later, Thats what I did but I do like having it.

My truck would never touch the mud there but it does like to pull a jeep and a samauri on my 24' dovetail. Lets keep in touch through PM's and we can have a few beers up there one night.

13. PTSolutions

our dump will always have between 80-90 psi in the bags b/c its almost always hauling a load.

in the pickup i think id be fine leaving it at 60 psi, dont think id need more than that with just the trailer behind it.

theres really no need to keep adjusting the pressures constantly unless you hauling uneven loads or campers.

im pretty sure i remember it being 1,000lbs of capacity for every 20 psi in the bags, therefore 100psi= 5,000lbs capacity

14. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

did you get the on board tank looks real good

15. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

Nick you go to Yankee Lake? well shoot hope to see you there this summer :drinkup: on another note nice install! I dont tow anything to often but I do occasionally load the bed up quite a bit with some firewood I hope to get a set this summer.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  16. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

My one buddy had a samuri for a little while that thing was good. I am only 19 though and try and stay away from:drinkup: my buddies do enough of that sometimes I gotta be the DD:dizzy: but its all for fun:nod:
    Hopefully we will camp out again on trucks gone wild weekend it was fun people were firing up their trucks @ 7am

17. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

Looks like you have newer shocks on the truck. What brand are they and how do you like them?

18. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

Aw shoot I cant wait wait for summer :nod:

19. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

Did you have to replace the shocks/? x2 what Ncat said.. I'd like to get bags, also debating the compressor. My truck rides level now, when i hook up a trailer it sags down in the back. I was just wondering if the shocks have enough travel in them to inflate the bags all the way?

i'll also make a trip or two to Yankee lake this summer- to spectate only of course!

20. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Keeping that much air in the bags with no load will make the truck very bouncy. The first trip I took with my truck I had between 50 and 60 psi in the bags. I was doing high speed driving and hit a dip in the road. It was a little rough, i pulled right over and brought the air down to about 10 psi. You will have to see what works for you.