1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

put a new factory limmited slip or a truetrac diff

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by snowsniper1, Jan 5, 2011.

1. snowsniper1

snowsniper1 Senior Member

in my 06 3500 4x4 srw d/a combo with aam 11.50 rear.one of my guys were driving it today and called and told me rear end wouldnt unlock so i had him take it to the dealership to get it checked out.they checked and told me i needed a new g80 diff and bearings fluid for total of 2650.i told i would let him know hung the phone and called DTS that put lockers in my toys he said he would put a detroit truetrac in for 1278 with bearing and fluid.my ? is how is a true trac for plowing vs a g80.thanks

2. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I have had a TruTrac LS in my Ram 2500 Cummins for 5 years......no issues....just change the fluid here and there.......I will do that again....

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

sound like someone dosnt know how to drive with a self locking rear axle. thay blew it up from letting the unit SLAM in to lock from a spinning tire.

if you feel it start to spin let off gas and it should lock in softly and work good.

here is the sale flyer for them. these are a good unit thay last a long time and this style has been around a long time. http://nationaldrivetrain.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page44.html

4. snowsniper1

snowsniper1 Senior Member

Thanks,I was thinking the same thing I had a talk him about it he was fueling the fleet and washing it,he said he was just going around the corner when it happend but I know better

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

i am in the 44 offroad truck stuff.

see lots of them blow up. there nickname is gov-boom for when thay go BOOM

basicly its tomany time thay spinn tires and SLAM the unit in .

if it was my personal plow truck i only drove i would go arb air locker. best of both worlds. open diff for daily drivin use and not eat tires faster. then when you need it flip the switch and bam full locked rear. wesport but who wants to drop 995 for the locker 200 for the comp unit and 200-300 for the install on a plow truck axle.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Tough to beat a Trutrac in a daily driver or plow truck. Install and forget about it with their super smooth power delivery and very predictable handling and about as bulletproof as you'll ever need short of a spool.