1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

put 1989 motor & trans in 1995 truck

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Silverstreak, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Silverstreak

Silverstreak Senior Member

has anyone ever tried doing this?

i want to use a motor and trans out of a 1989 f250 and put it in my 95

both are fuel injected 5.8l

the 1989 has a c6

the 95 has a e4od

would i be able to do this without too much modding? i know the e4od is longer so i will most likely need to use the driveshaft out of the 89 doner truck

the c6 has nearly no wiring how about the motors? much of a difference there?

thanks!

2. john mc

john mc Member

i think you would have a hard time getting it to pass for emissions .the parts per million would be less for the 95.i think it would he harder for the older motor to pass the newer spec.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You will be held to 1995 emmissions standards, older engines in newwer trucks can be an issue.

4. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

the e4od is comptuer controlled. the c6 is not. if you swap the wiring and computer from the 89 into the 95 along with the 89 motor and trans it will work. but its a big job, and as mentioned, emissions is a concern.

if the motor in the 95 is bad, use the manifold/sensors/injectors/etc from the 95 on the 89 motor and drop it in. and you'll miss the overdrive from the e4od, although the c6 is a stronger trans in factory form.

5. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

the e4od is comptuer controlled. the c6 is not. if you swap the wiring and computer from the 89 into the 95 along with the 89 motor and trans it will work. but its a big job, and as mentioned, emissions is a concern.

if the motor in the 95 is bad, use the manifold/sensors/injectors/etc from the 95 on the 89 motor and drop it in. pluis lossi

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It can be done . But Knowing Ford, there will be problems! You have to use the 89's engine harness/computer and mate the run and start circuits to the 95. The 89 has an air pump /single O2 sensor/ EGR system. The C-6 needs a vacuum source. Cooling lines in the same place? Then you have transmssion linkage. The C-6 linkage is a bear to find. Will the drive shafts be the same? Changing lenghts can be expensive. I don't know what the 95 has. I have even seen engine mounts that have to have new holes drilled to get the mounts bolted down. Will the Transmission cross member line up? Transfer case may cause problems too. Exhaust may be a problem too.

I did a 84 Bronco II, 5 spd, carbed --> 86 Auto / EFI conversion. The 2 year difference had huge changes! Just be aware it may not be as cut and dried as it seems.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  7. Silverstreak

looks like more trouble than iots worth haha thanks everyone!

8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

We don't have emission testing here on anything older than 97. Just fyi

9. Silverstreak

yeah im just looking for the easiest way i can get by with, so if anyone has a 92-94 engine thatd be helpful!

i got my 89 pickup running anyhow, so ill be using that to plow with too so id rather not dissect the truck right now