1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pusing snow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SKRAM423, Sep 29, 2001.

1. SKRAM423

SKRAM423 Junior Member

First I would like to say that I have read many threads an this site and have found alot of useful info. Many thanks to all who participate.

Next, I am looking into starting plowing this year and have a few questions.

I have read that pusing snow across the roadway is prohibited in most areas. This may seem like a stupid question, but when plowing a driveway where do you go with it?

I have a Dodge 1500 ext cab. Can I put a v-plow on it?

What is the best way to acquire new business? How does everyone get their contracts?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Mark S.

P.S. The user name is my name backwards. Not intended to send people away. :)
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Welcome to PlowSite - the home of snow nuts.
    Have you been to Chuck Smith's site? http://www.snowplowing-contractors.com Great resource for information on snowplowing. As to where to put it - This may seem like a smart aleck answer, but anywhere there's an open spot you can push to without going onto someone else's property. Mainly depends on whether you're in town or rural etc. Be sure to push well back the first few snows. Plan ahead or you'll get closed in and have to haul it away. Usually means hiring a bucket loader or backhoe and tri axle truck. Expensive. As to putting a v-plow on your extended cab 1500 - check with your plow dealer. You don't want to exceed GVW and they'll know if they can put a particular plow on your truck. As for getting business you might try putting an ad in the neighborhood newspaper and letting neighbors know you're in business. Make sure to get insurance. You'll need an vehicle rider and commercial liability. My advise is to start small and grow slow. Get a couple of driveways to start. If you have no experience, start with your own driveway until you get the hang of it. Won't take more than one or two snows. Then get a couple driveways...

Have you checked out SIMA?

Hope this helps some.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2001
  3. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

You can find out if it's legal or not to push snow across the roadway by calling you local city hall. The street department should be able to tell you. Usually, when I'm plowing a driveway, I'll back-drag all the snow out to the street and then push it into my customers front lawn. This way, it stays on their property (just make sure you raise the plow a little so you don't rip up any grass.) As far as a V-plow goes, I don't think you'll be able to put one on your particular truck. I too have a 1500 extended-cab (but mines a Chevy), and we're very limited as to which plows we can use. I would maybe look at the SnoWay Lobo V-plow if anything... it's probably the lightest one out there. Also, SIMA (the Snow & Ice Management Association) would be a good thing to join. Here's some web-sites for you to check out:

Good luck!!!

4. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Hi Mark, welcome to our "home"!

Every driveway is a little different, but in general, you can either push the snow into the backyard (w-e-l-l back as Mick mentioned, so you don't run out of room later) or, in the majority of cases, back-drag the snow away from the garage and push it onto the customer's yard at the foot of the driveway.

"Back-drag" means drive up to the garage, drop the blade and back up. Not the way plows were really designed to work, but it gets the job done. If you're doing mostly driveways, a rear (or "pull") plow along with your front mounted one will make the job a lot easier. You'll need to be careful and raise your blade slightly when pushing the snow over the lawn to avoid tearing the turf up - the $$$ to fix it in the spring can eat a good chunk of your profit! :(

Vees are heavy plows. Again, Mick has good advice - check with your plow dealer. I'm pretty sure it's too heavy a plow for a 1500 ext cab though.

I have plowed "in-house" (my workplace & my own shop) for the past 4 seasons, this year will be my first season plowing "for-hire". After weighing the pros & cons, I have decided to work as a sub for another contractor (for at least a season or two) before seeking out my own contracts. That is an option you could consider, lots of plowing contractors can use good, reliable help. You'll still need to be properly insured, and set up as a biz, main difference is you will be billing one person. (ie - chasing them for your money!)

And definitely check out SIMA (Snow & Ice Management Association) if you're serious about being a pro!
  5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I live in a small town and find that the twon does not mind if I push across the street if it is before they plow. If it is after they have plowed then the area must be cleaned up. I tell my drivers to treat any road spillage like a driveway. Incidentally the town follows up with a spot sand truck after they have finished plowing so that they can "catch" any spots that may cause a driving problem.
  6. SKRAM423

SKRAM423 Junior Member

Many thanks to all suggestions and comments. I didnt realize you could lift the plow just a few inches and still push with it. This wont hurt the plow/truck? I checked out Chuck Smiths site and found alot of useful info including diagrams of residential/commercial lots with their problem areas. Great idea. I think I will be spending alot of time there. Will also check into SIMA.
  7. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Having the plow raised a bit and pushing is OK - the idea is to get the cutting edge just off the ground to avoid turf damage. This won't harm the truck or plow any.
  8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

That is the Key when trying to stack snow. Once the blade is off the ground the momentum of the truck will usually cause it to continue up as you raise the arm. It will then nicely stack the snow and you will avoid the sudden stop from bucking into the pile.
  9. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

All very good information above. Personally, I never push the snow across the road. It always gets piled on the clients property.

I don't know about anyone else, but once I was driving down the road (main road) at about 40 mph when I came across I fellow plower that had pushed across the road. Well, the windrow on the road was higher than the bottom of my plow, and at 40 mph it caused a lot of snow to be thrown over my plow, landing on the windshield. Totally blinded, (wipers wouldn't clear that much snow) I quickly stopped (hoping I was still in my lane).
    Lesson learned. I now slow way down, angle and drop my blade, and clear the lane on my way through.

As far as getting clients, I target specific areas putting flyers on mailboxes/in doors. The trouble with newspaper ads is that the calls you get may be from customers scattered all over town. With a small town and a small local paper it isn't that bad. But with a paper that has a very large circulation, you may end up spending to much of your time driving from customer to customer.

Well, I'm gonna SKRAM now ;)