1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pushing with skid steer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Watch out yelow, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Watch out yelow

Watch out yelow Member

I have an s300 bobcat skid steer with a 12', 4 yard capacity snow pusher. Works well with light snow but could use more weight in the heavier snow as to keep traction with the heavier load. Bobcat only sells 70 lbs sets of weights but im thinking of trying to add a half ton or so to the rear of the machine. Any suggestions or thoughts?
  2. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Pusher maybe to large for the machine? trying to push to much at once maybe? s300 is a heavy machine if I remember, be interesting if you need more weight.

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

every thing pushes better with weight added!! I am looking to add more weight to my New Holland LX185B It pushes OK now, should push better with more weight, If any one has an idea about a weight kit, let me know!!!!
  4. salopez

salopez Senior Member

I would think a 12 footer is a tad too big for the s300.
    There are many things you could do without adding wieght, like more training for operators, taking smaller bites/ shorter runs.

as for adding wieght
    I would add the wieghts bobcat sells, fill up the rack in the back door. use the wheel wieghts and then I would add small suitcase wieghts to the rear sides of the machine. I figure you will come up with 1000 lbs that way.
  5. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Protech won't even build you a 12' pusher unless you state its going on a 1 yard mini wheel loader or a GEHL 7800-7810e or a older bobcat 963. Since to many people are having your problem. A 10' pusher is all you really want on your machine. If you want to sell it, I got a sub who is looking for a 12' pusher for his gehl 7800
  6. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Try tire chains, they work wonders on bobcats. They are like a whole differnet machine with them on.
  7. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

Hire a fat dude. :D

I plow with a 10' blade on our skidsteer and it is plenty sometimes. I think your plow is a little to big (IMO). I did see a skid steer the other day that had add on weights to the back of it like you see on the front of farm tractors.
  8. paponte

paponte Senior Member

12' on a skisteer? Too big man. I have a 262CAT and I think a 10' would be maxed.