1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pushing snow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Peopleeater, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

I was wondering if anyone else has done this, and if so what they thought. Has anyone ever tried t push snow any distance with two trucks with plows angled towards each other. This would create a V plow scoop position effect. Just have to be careful not to bang trucks, but is pretty easy since the snow pushes each truck away from the other.

I did this with a friend of 16 yrs. and both trusted each other (locked in 4 and both know how to drive). We let the one with driver's side view monitor trucks and plows while other tried to stay constant. Both of us thought it worked pretty good. You still have some left in middle because of gap in plows, but it helps move alot of snow when it is clean up time.

I agree that it could damage equipment, and should not be done by everyone. Just wanted to throw it out there and see what the response was.

Jeff

2. Triton Snow Systems

Triton Snow Systems Banned

plowing

I bet it was fun, but In the long run I'll bet your insurance company might be involved in some way !!

3. jeffw

jeffw Senior Member

been there done it alot

we often do that in the bigger parking lot. we do it mostly with two loaders, regular buckets. they can move alot of snow that way. the pick up cleans up what they leave behind. then when the snow curl gets to be alot one loader will come over and straight push while i have my blade straight next to the loader bucket. it picks up the entire curl and leaves nothing behind.

next time try it with blades straight you;ll be surprised on how well it works, angle tends to leave more in the middle. " driver on the right does the pacing as he can see the blade edge.

jeff

4. Peopleeater

I didn't say it was fun, just was wondering what others thought. Everything stays in control or you pull out if it seems iffy (get scared). The snow tries to keep the trucks apart, kinda have to try to keep them close.

Even with the gap in the middle, it seemed to help alot. Thinned it down to a manageable push. It was a Lowe's parking lot, so it was a bigger one. I sub for one of their brothers, so don't get a chance to work with them much plowing. Might get the chance later, so it came to mind.

I am thinking about going to a Blizzard, and am wondering if that feeling of two trucks pushing snow would be like one with a blizzard? Have a 7.5 Western Straight Uni. Pro steel now.

Jeff

5. Rappa

Rappa Member

Done it many times. Works great in large lots! Just trust your partner of course.

6. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

that is done here on a regular bases with a grader and loader. works great.

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

We used to do this all the time in a huge parking lot we did. If the guy you are plowing with know's what they are doing it works. But with so few "drivers" around and more "Kinda know what I am doing's" it's hard to do often.

8. jeffw

jeffw Senior Member

it also works better with an 8' plow the 7.5 is kinda close. the 8' give you more buffer space between mirrors and stuff.

jeff

9. MN_BR

MN_BR Member

We frequently do this on a couple large parking lots that we have, it works pretty well and if both drivers are good it doesnt leave much it the middle.

10. thundercat99

thundercat99 Senior Member

Team Plowing

I do it on a couple of my bigger lots but we do it angled i tuck my blizzard a couple inches behind my dump trucks 11 ft bonnell works great 21ft of blade att once is a great thing but you have to trust your partner

Have been thinking about doing it with 3 trucks wide but it might be to much coordination

11. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Someone posted a pic of it here last season. They were doing it with two pickups 8' each in a self storage facility. Seems like a pretty efficient way to move snow if the drivers can handle it.

12. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

side bye side

we do this all the time with my b2 with 6.5 plows talk about close. I have the lead plow drive straight and i run off to the left wing and stay around a inch off the mirror then at the last sec i hold up and back out of the way for the lead truck to back off. i just tell lead driver DONT..MOVE ..Scares the **** out of a new driver but works well in moving piles around but you got to trust each other i would not advise this for new drivers or on hard packed snow to many things can make one truck bounce into each other......

13. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

Been doing it for years, Kinda like a make-shift 14 +' V plow.....

Its called "pinching"

14. Peopleeater

Pinching

Now at least I can give it a name. Thanks Indy.
    I'm kinda surprised that many people do it. I kinda figured I would get more responses like the first. It makes sense to call it pinching.

Jeff