1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pushing snow?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 572bowtie, Dec 12, 2004.

1. 572bowtie

572bowtie Member

does anyone know how well a 1984 6.2 "j" code does pushing snow commercially with a 8ft super duty plow the truck is a 1 1/4 with dana 60 front and rear with 4:56 gears full floaters? I know the axles will hold up but what about the engine?

2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

6.2 is a deccent motor from a reliability stand point albiet it barely has enough power to get outa its own way. With the deep gears you should have a good plow rig though.

3. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

its a 350 with diesel heads not a real diesel.But mini vans are pushing snow these days[rear plow that goes in the trailer hitch] so it should be fine.

4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

The 6.2 and the 350 (5.7) diesel are NOT the same motor, nor the same design. The 350 diesel is a thick-walled Oldsmobile 350 with special heads. The 6.2 and 6.5 are known for reliability and decent fuel mileage and not much else :p and were a significant step-up from the Olds diesel. Most of the 350 diesels have either been scrapped or made into hi-po gasoline engines, as the cylinder walls could be bored way oversize and stroker cranks added to build a small-block with big displacement. See the Mondello Performance website for info on those!

Sounds like you have an ex-military truck... should plow just fine. I mean, come on, can it be any worse than the 305 in my 1-ton dually was? (IT plowed just fine, BTW)

5. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I would not say that. Over the years I have driven some that ran quite well and at low plowing speeds it will have more than enough power to do the job. In years long past I have plowed with old striaght 6's and no problems at all power wise. It does not take 200 or 300HP to plow effectively though some seem to think it does.

6. ratlover

from IL

Derek is right on :nod:

7. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Not quiite because it is better suited for pushing snow than a 305 because it has more low speed torque than the 305 does. Word has it the John Deere did the original engineering design work on the 6.2 for a hefty fee and GM did all the manufacturing thru a fully owned (at the time) sub division.

8. ratlover

from IL

6.2's and 6.5's is a detroit motor

Why do you feel the need to try to dissagree with every comment? :confused:

9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I wasn't suggesting that the 305 was a better plow motor, what I was saying was that if a 305 running on seven cylinders could pull around a 7100 truck plus about 3000lbs of gravel and 1000lbs of blade, I'm sure the 6.2 would be more than capable of doing so.

It was a 'positive' statement.

10. PackRat

PackRat Member
    from Kansas

Say bowtie,
    There's a shop here in OZ, that uses the early mechanical 6.5 pumps to spice up the 6.2's. Headers and duals help a bunch, too. Send me an e-mail if you are interested, and I'll get you his name and number.

I does sound to me like you have an ex-military CUCV. Hopefully, the 24v provision has been deleted.

11. 572bowtie

572bowtie Member

yes the truck is a late 84 1 1/4 ton it is a m1028 we bought it off ebay it only had 14,285 miles on it with a goverment title to prove it now it has a little over 18 we flew down to jackson mississippi to get it and drove it all the way back to omaha, Ne with no problems. Also what did you mean about the 24v provision has been deleted?

12. PackRat

PackRat Member
    from Kansas

The military has as big of a fetish for 24volts, and it does for diesels. At best, the truck has, or did have, a 24v switch to run radios and stuff. It may have 2 alternators, and be running 24v, and running everything else off 1 battery.

When the government buys from low bid, there is no telling what kind a mixed up junk they will end up with.

The guy that works with me at the shop is in the Gaurds. His MSO is mobile mechanic, so anything I didn't know before, we have already argued about. :salute:

13. crashz

crashz Senior Member

I've owned two 6.2's, in fact my GMC was a 6.2 originally. I swapped in a 454 in my "hot rodding days". My other 6.2 was in another 83 3/4 ton 4x4. Now I want another!

They are slow, and under powered in comparison to todays diesels, but nothing touches them when comparing fuel mileage numbers. This may not mean much to the guy at the drag strip, but pushing snow all night on half a tank of fuel is pretty nice. Especially with today's prices.

HP: 130 -150
    Torque: 270 -290 ft-lbs.

My 83 3/4 ton was getting 24 mpg on my daily commute before I traded it for my F150. No real problems with these motors, just keep an eye on the coolant, cause over heating with crack the heads, and keep changing the fuel filters. My 3/4 ton made it past 300,000 miles with only an injection pump replacement when I first bought it. The garage it was at couldn't figure it out and I picked it up for a song!

Sounds like you got a great deal. Congrats!