1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pushing snow with an Ebling?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by excav8ter, Jan 4, 2012.

1. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

Hey all, I have had the chance to use my new Ebling this week due to some nice L.E.S here, one place I take care of is a pretty nice sized subdivision with a bunch of driveways and roads. I also used it to plow my church, hoping it will cut down my time there. At the subdivision the snow was lighter and fluffier because the ground seems to be more frozen. At the church and a factory that i do, the snow was much heavier, in some place it was slushy. Now my question .....do you guys use your Eblings (or swing wing) to push snow? If I pull the snow as the blade is intended, by the time got to the end of the lot i had a huge pile of snowcrete that i needed to use my v-blade to try and bust it up. Then I tried taking a few passes with my VXT in the scoop position and then turned around and pushed with my Ebling .....it worked great! But I'm curious of weather or not it is safe to do so? I can imagine in light snow, like we normally get it would be fine. What do you guys think?

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I think it would be ok with powder/light snow and doing it gently. I would slam into any piles or stack with it.
  3. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

You'll be fine........until you hit something.
  4. Landgreen

Landgreen Member

The blade is engineered to pull. I would not push with it. Lots of diiferent forces that may tweak or break the blade or worse yet your truck.

Though I always wondered what it would be like to have one on the front of the truck. Big pusher for sure.
  5. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. I know it's not designed to push. I guess i was just curious as to whether anyone did use it to push and how it held up. I am the only one that will use it, and will probably use it as it it intended. But knowing that it can be used in reverse would be nice.

Thank you.
  6. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

i had a huge pile of "Snocrete"

Ya, Snocrete can be a PITA!!:laughing:

Just raise it off the ground slightly to push with it.
  7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Ebling does not recommend pushing backward but many people do , just use your head. It saves a lot of time instead of turning around.
  8. WIPensFan

I'm suprised Ebling hasn't put a reverse trip edge on there pull plows with the extendable wings. Because the wings are independent of the main edge, they could trip all three edges seperately when the user pushes with the plow instead of pulling. As in the edge tripping towards the rear of the truck/tractor.

EDIT: As I looked at the Ebling it looks all connected at the bottom of the wing edges and the main edge. Guess it wouldn't be as easy as I thought.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  9. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

No, 3 individual cutting edges.
  10. WIPensFan

Yea, but it doesn't look as though they would trip without impingement( is that a word :dizzy: ) I can't see how it all works clearly enough, sorry.
  11. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

I want one bad, i've never seen one down here in C-Bus

Whats the price tag on one???
  12. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

One thing I try to not do with mine is back over the pile to much. "Packed Snocrete" isn't fun to deal with.

I try to circle plow with mine as much as possible, or keep the pulls short so I am not backing over a mountain.

I do get lazy and push with mine sometimes, but only in fluffy snow.

13. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

I hope we get some "normal" snow around here this year....with all the warm temps we are having it may be a crappy year of plowing heavy wet snocrete.

The few pushes I made with my 14' Ebling REALLY cut down on the time I spent in that lot. I am thinking that if I don't put much down pressure on it, and don't let it twist when I raise it, and not use it to stack snow, I will probably not hurt it. But I am going to try and NOT make a habit of pushing with it.
  14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

There is no trip and the cutting edge is totally straight so the edge isn't the problem. The wings are actually less vulnerable going backward as there are relief valves going the other way instead of when your wings are fully extended going forward all you have is a shear bolt. The problem I see with going backwards is the lift linkage would have more of more down force and be less able to ride over something because of the geometry. I'm really just thinking out loud here not sure if what I think is entirely true.
  15. snocrete

snocrete Banned

F u :salute:

easier said than done.

I totally see where your going with that, and would agree.
  16. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

~60 minute drive and you can see mine. Bring cash and I can get you set up with one if you like what you see.
  17. WIPensFan

I was talking about having the cutting edges trip when pushing backwards, not the whole wing.
  18. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

nicely done WIPensFan!
  19. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Keep thinking, this time it's working.
  20. snocrete

snocrete Banned

He dosent need encouragement Steve.:gunsfiring: