1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pushing Snow in Town?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bullettooth81, Aug 19, 2010.

1. bullettooth81

bullettooth81 Senior Member

I've been quoting some residential driveways that basically have NO yard to push the snow into. What do you guys do in that situation? Can I push out into the street and try to push it up into the blvd? I've heard that is illegal in some areas.

Thanks!

2. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Most states its illegal... but people still do it... If it were me I'd just walk away ... you can't please everyone .....

3. bullettooth81

What if one of the driveways is mine? :nod:

Tough times, I'd hate to walk away from business. payup

Has anyone dealt with this before?

4. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

I dont know of any locale where placing snow in any piece of public property is acceptable, or legal.

Might you be able to blow it in to your yard? Is the front of your house 100% driveway?

5. bullettooth81

I could blow it and I think I do have space for some snow. However you never know what you are going to get up here in SD. I always have a skid steer I could borrow too to pile it up better.

6. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

The question was asked in another thread just today, about plowing on public roads/land. The problem is A) liability, B) if you push yours out in the street, then everyone else can too, then pretty soon the street is impassible or the landscaping in the median is shot, at the municipality's expense.

Assuming that is your yard in your avatar, why not just go straight into the grass? Nice truck!

7. bullettooth81

Thanks on the truck.

I've moved since that picture was taken. I had LOTS of room to push snow in that yard!

8. bullettooth81

So even if there is a small yard are most just pushing up into the yard the best they can?

9. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Tractor with snow blower, you can get rid of alot of snow that way, even on a small lot.

10. SServices

SServices Senior Member

You could get ticketed in many places around here for that. I know the City of Fairlawn you have to have a permit to plow driveways and/or parking lots. That way if you push it into the street they look up the address and find out who's plowing it and send you a ticket.

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Push it into the driveways you don't plow.

12. SServices

SServices Senior Member

I like it!

13. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

Post a pic of what kind of driveways your are dealing with, might help with some idea. Sounds like these are the same kind of drives I target..sounds weird I know...but around here it is a neiche I have found. Using the smaller equipment (atv's and compact tractors) I can knock quite a few of these drives out in an hour and charge more because most companies cant get there equipment in there.

14. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

push it into the grass and raise plow if there is grass.. it might not look that great but hey it needs to be done

15. Neige

Neige Sponsor

:salute: Now your talking, I just love it when someone finds a solution and makes it work for them. We will just keep pretending that your nuts, and there is no money in those small useless complicated drives. :nod: