1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pushing snow across the street protocol?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Aveerainc, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Aveerainc

Aveerainc Senior Member
    from NH

I have a long steep driveway roughly 700' and I push the snow downhill. When I get to the bottom I have two options: push the snow across the street and do it while raising the blade so I don't rip up the neighbors lawn or cut the wheel and lose the snow trying to do a 180 to keep it on my property.

Well the neighbor across the street has issue with option #1 (are they aware the street plow takes snow from the street and sends it on their lawn?) So what is proper protocol? Push across the street like every plow out there or other?

2. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

Pushing snow across the street is against the law and is a ticketable offense. I know it's a pain in the tail to push back onto your property but that's what you have to do.

3. Aveerainc

Aveerainc Senior Member
    from NH

does it vary by state/town?

4. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

I do not believe so.

5. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

6. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

If you were mowing and bagging for this customer would you dump the clipping on the neighbors property? Turn and push it on to the customers property.

7. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

It's against the law here in NY. I here complaints regarding this practice on the police scanner after big snows.
    I won't do it. I had a customer tell me yesterday that she wanted her snow pushed across the road to someone else's property.

I push or drag the snow to the end, then get out in the road and push it away from the driveway then into the ditch.

8. k5PlowGuy

k5PlowGuy Member

Yes it does. Check with the city that you plow in.

9. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth Member

I came out of a neighborhood road the other night and pushed a small pile across the street. I went back into the neighborhood to do some more for a second and when I came back out, there was a Louisville Metro Works pickup truck stopped at the entrance. The guy got out, and I rolled down my window more to talk- he was cool (like really nice) and I said "is this about me pushing across the street?" he said, "yeah... it's fine, but can you just shove it a little more off the street?? Cause we're not plowing now and we wouldn't want a car to hit the pile, lose control, and be held responsible."

he said it was fine, just make sure the push is totally off the street. I don't make a habit of doing this, but it was good to at least talk to someone in "the know" about it. I guess it's ok around here.

10. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

It most definatley varies from state to state, city to city. There are several arguments to this topic, and if you do a search, you will have hours of reading to do on the subject. My best advice is to call the city, town, or village that you live in and find out what the rules, laws, and or regulations are. In the city I live in, it is 100% legal to do because the city owns the land between the edge of the road, and the sidewalk. So it's not private property. The only time it becomes a problem is if you stack it in a location that blocks the view of oncomming traffic, and creates a hazzard, or unsafe condition, or if you don't clean up your snow trails across the street.

11. MJay

MJay Member

I'd be more concerned about liability. Leave anything on the road and you are risking a lawsuit in the event of an accident.

12. k5PlowGuy

k5PlowGuy Member

Just don't leave anything in the street. I plow across the street and I make sure that the street is in the same or usually better condition than when I got there.

13. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

I was in the town office in my town last winter and the road commisioner was drafting a warning letter to a couple of peoplewho were plowing accross the road.They were giving them one warning then a summons if they continued....

14. Aveerainc

Aveerainc Senior Member
    from NH

Good info...I have enough frontage to stack a lot of snow on my side of the road.

15. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Legal or not, its wrong to put your unwanted stuff on your neighbor's property. Would you be ok if he took all his leaves in the fall and dumped them in your front yard?

Push your snow down the hill, lift the plow when you get near the bottom and then turn around and stack your snow up on your own property. I have a couple hundred feet of frontage so I push it down and then make a couple passes across the front...not only do I push the sides back to the edge of the road where the town leaves it a couple feet short, but this way i also get to spread a big hunk of snow from my driveway across a large area...keeps the snowbanks lower at the bottom of the driveway so i can see on my way out.

16. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

If that's the case why are you pushing it across the road to begin with????????????

If I were your neighbor I would not be happy about it either. :nono:

17. Aveerainc

Aveerainc Senior Member
    from NH

haha - too funny...my neighbor beside me pushes most of his snow onto my property and I could really care less. It's snow and it melts...and the street plows send all the road snow onto everyone's yard so why should I care?

The neighbor across the street had issue with the neighbor beside me...that's how I know they have an issue and that's why the neighbor beside me pushes it onto my property.

Everyone can calm down and relax -

18. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

it is illegal to push snow across the street here, even though guys still do it.

19. jmbones

jmbones Senior Member
    from NE PA

Couple different things here... leaves and grass clippings do not vaporize and disappear. Snow does. I would say try to make an agreement that you lift the blade and clean up and rocks or dirt that is left behind when it melts in the spring. Also, most states, townships, municipalities, etc have "right of ways" several feet on the sides of every roads, so technically, if the state/township/municipality allow you to do it, you can do it and the other person really can't say much about it.

20. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Well, no right of ways have no bearing on pushing snow onto a neighbors property usually it's only the municipality that has the rights otherwise it's the property owner's property. Many owners are concerned about the salt in the road being put on the grass and killing it too - at least that's the only complaint I have heard when encountering it.

It is illegal here and a fine, tho as long as you clean the road as good as the town does (again, it's usually in better shape where done) they don't bother you.

I question the OP - I realize you said downhill- how steep is the down hill? Could you stop and back up the drive on the way?
    Why not plow a ways and push it off the drive to one side or the other so there is much less at the bottom to 180?
    I do that on several clients drives.