1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pushing snow 800'

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by luky013, Feb 3, 2011.

1. luky013

luky013 Junior Member

I have a customer that expects me to push the snow in a parking lot from one end to the other. approx 800'. I told him that it probably couldnt be done in events over 4". I do not have any experience pushing large amounts that far and wanted to get some other opinions. It is a large commercial lot 500'x800', open 24 hours, alot of traffic and alot of obstacles, islands, shopping cart racks ect., I dont think it could be done even with a large front end loader. we are now in a pissing match over moving the snow that is piled up around the light poles and taking up alot of parking space. so in the future he is asking that we push from one end to the other. any thoughts?

2. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Anything CAN be done....it's a matter of cost. Does the property manager want to pay more? Is there a lane that you could drive a BIG loader through-and use smaller vehicles to feed it?

Google earth pictures help people commenting on this type of thing.

3. alpine779

alpine779 Member

Two of our accounts are like that. One is two strip malls that require all the snow to be pushed @1000' to one end and removed the next day. The other is a strip mall which requires all snow to be moved from the front all the way around to the backside. We use a cat 420dit with horst 10' push, pick-up, and a 91 international with 10' reversible/11' belly. It can be done no probs for the right price as it does take longer than if you could just stack it anywhere.

4. leon

leon Senior Member

snow

Snow can be pushed or blown thousands of feet
    with a snow thrower or road grader.

The wide cut snowtrower and an ag tractor would be
    a faster solution than attempting to rent a road grader.

There is always a lot farming iron sleeping during the winter
    that could be rented if you bought a wide cut snow blower.

If you have a large width cut rear mounted snowthrower
    mounted on a agricultral row crop or utility tractor with a
    hydro trnasmission and cab its easily done.

If you have access to a road grader for hire with an
    experienced operator or rent one and have to deal
    with the learning curve that will work well also with
    a belly blade and wing
    if it has one.

About the snow thrower:
    As long as you have the spout of the snow thrower
    pointed down to the pavement in front of the
    snow thrower you will always be in control of the
    discharge at all times and the snow thrower can
    advance at four to 5 miles an hour in reverse
    disposing of the snow.

Any snow piled can also be removed quickly.
    You wont be slowed down by the snow in front
    of the blower as long as you are not traveling
    too fast in reverse to avoid clogging the impeller
    and shearing the pin for the impeller.

You could rent a small road grader with a 12 foot blade,
    and move lots of snow quickly simply with the tractive
    effort of the 6 wheel drive system of the grader.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

a truck with a V blade will do it too.....just gonna take time

6. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Like others have said, that length of push is not impossible. It's going to take quite a bit more time but it's possible.

I have a 600' push and do it without any problems.

7. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Thats nothing out of the ordinary. I did it for 10 years at Wal Mart and adjoing shopping center. You just need the right equipment. I now have 9 apartment complexes with 600 to 700 ft pushes.

8. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

If that is what is needed to accomplish the job, you'll have to get the right equipment for the job.
    Is your next question: what would work best for this type of job?

9. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

And a good transmission.

Easy to have multiple trucks push to main drag and have some kind of pusher shove to end. Ideally couple trucks and two pushers. Its all about what they want to pay though. If they dont want to budge tell em you cant do it any other way. If you already have a contract price I can see where this is gonna get ugly if not stated where your pushing to.

Does anyone still pile around lightposts anymore? I know I dont. Just looks ugly...lol.

10. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

In the lots I plow as a sub for I'd get my ass handed to me if I did that.

11. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

If they're requesting an unusual service, charge them an unusual price.

:D

12. snow patrol

snow patrol Senior Member

lots of good advice from the previous posters. Its all a matter of using the right tools for the right job. You could move it one spoon full at a time and get it to where you want it (I know its absurd, just trying to illustrate a point) or you could use one or any combination of the equipment mentioned. We do it all the time with even longer runs. Typically we use plows with wings and loaders/skids with pushers.

13. rcr4w

rcr4w Member

We do the lots at the Ford plant in claycomo Mo. and they are huge and we have to push it all to one end all we use is trucks. When we have a large snow fall like we had this week you just have to start where ever you think your truck can push from and keep working further back it does take a while but thats why it pays by the hourpayup

14. Kale Lawn

Kale Lawn Senior Member
    from Ohio

v plows suck.. blizzard power plows are much more efficient... but for long pushes a loader and sectional plow are the best route to go with either a smaller skidder or truck to feed and support the loader... who the hell uses a grader on a 800' x 500' parking lot? or a blower for that matter... maybe someone will suggest a turbine powered blower next?! wtf..

on a side note

never pile snow around light posts.. not only does it look terrible and unprofessional.. if there is a problem with the light you may have to go back to dig it out...

and while we're on the topic.. get out and move shopping carts... simpoly charge the client $20 per cart in the contract... soon your lot will be clear of carts

15. luky013

luky013 Junior Member

you guys make it sound easy and i think it would be if it were wide open. did i mention that this is a 24 hour store with lots of traffic all hours of the night. also multiple obstacles with no straight runs from one end to the other. I understand that it could be done some how some way. but I just dont think it is practical at this site with the obstacles and traffic. we just had a storm pass thru that dumped 3" an hour and topped off at 17". how could we keep up with that if we were pushing from one end to the other. we currently use 2 skid steers with 10' pushers and 2 trucks with 8' blades and there is no way we could of kept up with that storm if we had to push it 800'

16. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

Luky,
    Every and any lot I have ever plowed required pushing the snow to the back end of the lot and it wasn't always a straight line. It is easy ( but maybe not fast) with the right equipment.

Was the location of the snow not discussed at contract time ?

17. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

It doesnt seem that unusual to me. We push alot of them that far or farther. Figure out how wide of a box you can get through from one end to the other with cars and other obstacles. Then build a boxplow that width but make your sideplates say 6 or 7ft, this way you can still get through but also still carry alot of snow with you, (obviously you will need a wheel loader to push it but this will be the fastest way to get your snow from point a to point b) We built a box like this for a specific job and it works perfectly. Good luck.

18. rcr4w

rcr4w Member

Well the lots we push for ford have anywhere between 2500-10,000 cars and ontop of that they have 62 cars an hour coming off the line plus enough semi haulers coming in to keep up with production we have to keep their drive lines and loading areas clean along with plowing in between row after row of new cars as they are loaded its a pain in the butt and thats why you need to charge enough to be worth your time. I am not complaining at all its a good gig I only have to haul my equipment to one place sure some of its a pain in the rear but they pay good and at the end of the day thats all that really matters to me anyway.

19. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

You might have too big of a lot for your equipment???

20. 2low

2low Member

here is a picture of a mall we do the dark spots are where we plow the snow to. it can be done with some time we do one of our malls in 4 hours

mall.jpg