1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pushing piles in V

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by jomofo, Dec 31, 2009.

1. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Howdy guys... I've got some fairly small 2 week old piles I want to move this weekend and I'm thinking about how I'll go about it. The piles only need to move about 4' straight back from where they are, so I figure at some point in this process, I'll probably put the plow in the V position and hit the piles that way to break them up - however I find the plow digs in too much if I put it in float and V at the same time.... Can I safely hit piles (at reasonable speed - nothing crazy) with the point of the V raised 3" - 4" off the ground, without a lot of additional risk to the push frame or other components?

2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I think it will depend on how hard these piles are. You said they were small so I'll take your word for it and say you will probably be ok. If you think the piles won't move the first time you try to hit them, don't do it! I think as long as you are able to make them move the first hit, it won't matter to much wether the plow is down or up a little. I've got some piles at a few accounts that are like concrete, running into them would be bad.

3. Indy

Indy Senior Member

can you shear the tops off and then re stack and relocate them??
    2 or 3 passes at each pile?

Don't trash your blade and truck just to find out it was to much for one pass.

You can also back drag the piles down and restack them.......

Good luck

4. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Set up a video camera so we can see you do this....

5. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

X2.....please do.....call a friend..i wanna see...

6. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I'd shy away from it. They are more than likely frozen solid. Why did,kt push them back as far as possible when you first pushed the piles. You best bet is to get a loader or skid and break them apart, then stack'em with the loader or skid.

7. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

ha ha... I'd set up the video camera, but it's still in the ladies room over at the mall..

The piles are the way they are because I was getting ready to stack more snow, but then the storm petered out... Didn't get a chance to go back yet.

I don't expect the piles are all that frozen - it hasn't thawed at all for them to melt. I guess I'll find out.

8. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

9. Novadiecast

Novadiecast Senior Member

You will be fine. Just go easy and don't beat the hell out of your truck and plow.

10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Start at one end of the pile in the scoop position and slowly cut into it to push it back. Then just work the pile at an angle.

11. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I have found the best way to push a small pile back is to use the trucks momentum while pushing another large pile into it. If you can load up the plow with snow in the scoop position, head for the existing pile with it. Raise the plow a small amount and "ram" into the existing pile. The snow in the plow will absorb the impact so it isn't so severe, and the momentum should break the remaining pile lose if its not too big.

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That's the way. Plus you have the protection of the pressure relief on the wing cylinder if you hit something. I use lo-range for this kind of work.......

13. grandview

Here's a chart on your attack of the pile. In simple terms ,if the pile don't move you will break something.

force.jpg

14. JDiepstra

What I have found many many times is that if the pile does not move, the snow in the plow will just ride up the existing pile, causing no damage at all.

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks for posting those charts. I was looking for them but you beat me to it.

16. grandview

Unless those piles are left over from a wet snow.

17. JDiepstra

OK I guess it's just magic when I do it. :drinkup:

18. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

Get a Skid Steer over there to move the piles, you will do some damage if you hit frozen piles with your truck blade!

19. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Id chip away at it with one wing, and in the scoop position. the pressure relief valve will protect the truck and plow.

20. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

I wouldn't do with truck. That where it stretch 8 bolts on Boss mount for bracket. Done before on 01 F250 with Boss straight plow. It make bolts look like this ( Couldn't get out mount so we end torch them.