1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pushing "older equipment".

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ducaticorse, Nov 11, 2012.

1. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

Im sure some of my stuff is considered "old" a 99 7.3 dump, and 89 F600 dump, a mid 90's 753 and a 04 463, hell some would even consider my 04 F350 pick up old. Is there some unwritten rule that I'm not aware of that states that I have to buy new equipment every few years and pass those costs on to my customers as a result, or else risk being labelled as a "low baller"? I LIKE having no payments at the end of the month to worry about. I LIKE working on my equipment and keeping it nice and in good operating condition. I LIKE winning bids because I don't have a $10000 payment at the end of each month that needs to be paid for. There was a time when a man would go out and buy a tractor and he would have it until day he died. Same with his truck, and other tools of the trade. Granted, in some cases there comes a time when a tired machine needs to go to pasture, but in most cases that isnt every three or four years. What is it with people being bitter and talking S about a guy who won a new contract because he's running older but capable equipment at a lower cost? Why the F would he charge more than what he needs to make just to maintain so called "market rates". Thats not being a "low baller", its being a good business person and making due with what he has access to..
  2. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

^^^ applause ^^^
  3. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

Your pushing old equipement is part of the Obama Healthcare law. You have to read all 2500 pages of it to fully comprend what it really means to you
  4. ducaticorse

from we

I consider myself to be of at least average intelligence lol, and I have no idea what you just wrote means...
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Nothing wrong with running older equipment. But you need to have a plan to replace them. If you expect them to last forever, and have efficiency approaching new trucks, you are only fooling yourself.
  6. ducaticorse

from we

I have nothing against new equipment. And yes, in time things do need to be replaced. And I do understand there are markets for brand new trucks and markets for less than new, and markets for rust buckets.
    I would put with confidence, any of my equipment up against anything ten years younger in a similar class. Yes, my 753 is only a single speed, so it isn't as fast there, but it's also paid for.
    My plan has always been to have enough put aside in order to purchase a "newer" piece when needed, and that is part of my business model. I stress out enough not having to worry about large payments at the end of the month making sure my customers get what they are paying for while putting food on the table, and having enough after that to enjoy myself a little and sock some away too.
    My point is, that if you have presentable, aesthetically pleasing, well maintained and properly functioning equipment that makes you money and allows you to price a c-hair cheaper than the rest, whats wrong with that?
  7. M.A.H.

M.A.H. Junior Member

Anyways as long as your equipment is in good shape keep it. I have trucks from the 80's yet. If you keep them in good shape, why buy a new one? Just charge enough just incase you need a new one, then you can buy it with no payments.
  8. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Well said, just like others said, just make sure your charging enough to buyh the new equipment when you need it.
  9. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I hear this all the time in my head. The stuff I buy I like to keep till I can't run it anymore. It is always worth more to me than I can get for it selling it used.
    Having said that....the new stuff is way more comfortable and worth the price IMO as I get older. Technology\efficiency also is a factor in accomplishing more with a new piece..
  10. ducaticorse

from we

All I have found with "technology" so far, is that it costs way more to repair, and you need to have a PhD to do it.

The comfortability thing I agree with 100% My 89 F600 is a little rough around the edges in that department, but it's clean, doesnt leak, and does its job well.
  11. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

If you can make enough money plowing to replace your equipment every couple of years thats good for you. I keep my older equipment in very good shape since I cant afford to buy the new pickup... yet payup
  12. vintage steel

vintage steel Member

I've never made a payment on ANYTHING! I don't even have a credit card.: I go without untill I can afford what I want. My Jimmy, "ol' #1" is older than me. There is nothing wrong with that. People buying stuff they can't afford,on credit is one of the biggest problems today. People cry when the bank forecloses or reposeses...I got news for you, YOU NEVER OWNED IT IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!! Me, I'll keep my old equipment and never loose one minutes sleep worring about payments and yes, I charge less than the guy with the shiny new "bank owned" truck.
  13. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Couldn't agree more. I could care less how old someone's equipment is in most cases.

But then there are guys with old trucks that look old because they are so cheap that they won't even put a little money in a old truck to make it look decent.

I hate seeing commercial guys with trucks that have rust roles in every spot imaginable, that's just off puts me so much and don't understand it. If you "old" equipment looks like it's still new, your company is as appealing to me as the guy driving a brand new truck.
  14. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

The only person you are impressing with your brand new truck, loader or whatever is the other plow guys out there. 90% of your customers don't care how old your equipment is, and most couldn't tell the difference between a 2012 truck and a 1998 truck thats in good condition. all they care about is the work gets done. Personally, I like old stuff thats fixed up really nice. I have a lot more respect for the guy driving around in a really clean and kept up 15 year old truck than I do for the guy driving around in a brand new truck. But thats just me...
  15. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I run mine till they dont run or not safe to drive I ran my 88 f250 till 05 and frame was so thin wasnt safe to drive Body was in good shape no body rust just frame But I mis that truck it was a plow truck

Whats hard on trucks letting them just sit around all summer What happen to my 88 last 5 yrs of its life only was used as a snow truck

Now I make sure the frames are under coated better
  16. MWSAI

MWSAI Member

I don't believe there is anything with running older equipment. Just make sure it's serviced and dependable.
    I too enjoy having my stuff paid off. If it breaks I fix it. Yes, equipment does reach the end of its life expectancy at some point.
    I wouldn't call anyone that's charging what they need to to stay in business and profitable a lowballer whether they are running new rigs or older.
  17. TGS Inc.

TGS Inc. Senior Member
    from Detroit

I used to buy all new. Had at least 5-7 truck payments all the time. Changed my business model. I'm buying trucks at municipal auctions. I spent $ 85,000.00 on my last new 5-7 yard dump, now buying them for $ 3000 - 5000.00. We find sidewalk trucks the same way; 3/4 ton - 1 ton trucks for $ 400.00 to $ 1200.00.
  18. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

"Most couldnt tell the difference between a 2012 truck and a 1998". So funny but so true i have people asking me if our 02 f650 is new all the time and the one that sticks out in my mind is i detailed my fathers 5 year old truck and we went back to the same job and the lady asked if he bought a new truck last night. I think running them until theyre shot is ok depending on what there used for. Plow only trucks that see low miles sure. Bosses truck or foreman that sees alot of mileage no the more tows and down time more money lost. To each his own.
  19. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

People aren't stupid, like if you show up to do an estimate in some rusted out clunker they know whats up, but usually when its snowing and the truck is covered in snow and you cant see outside anyway they dont notice. The biggest thing for me is exhaust leaks. I don't care how new the truck is, if it has a exhaust leak/tick that is the one single thing that screams "hunk of $h1t" to me. 2 of my trucks have dual exhaust systems on them, but they sound good and toned, the exhaust leak just makes something sound like a clunker.
  20. greekmaster

greekmaster Junior Member
    from IOWA

1976 FORD F250 360 410 rear end. She aint pretty. But she likes to work!! She is ALMOST my wife!!!!
    BTW...She loves my 12 accounts. 5 commercial and property mgt co w/35 units. ENOUGH SAID.