1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pushing Blizzard plows???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Frozen001, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Why is it when on almost every post where someone asks about a new plow (specifically vee plows) they get blasted with "get a blizzard"... I know the 810 plow has great attributes, but so does a vee plow. Just curious why there seems to be a bias toward the blizzard products on this site...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2005
  2. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I know here the price seems right and it looks like a tough plow...

3. salt shaker

salt shaker Member

Blizzard or not?

Have you ever used one? We bought one last year for our f-650 loved it but the truck was to much for the plow. Bought a boss 10' straight for the truck and swapped the 8611 onto our new f-550. Bought three more 810's for our new 1-ton chevy pick-ups and will probably never buy a straight blade again. Multi-position plows can be used in so many different facids of plowing that even a v-plow lacks a little something in comparison. We also own a 9'2" Boss v-plow but are not completely sold on it's best plowing function as we have owned 2 Western v's in the past and were never truly happy with them. We did like their versatility but had too too many electrical nightmares with them. My advice to you would be to get friendly with someone that owns an 810 or 8611 and see for yourself how they compare. Don't rely on someones opinion to make a decision for you, see for yourself. Think of every situation you have been in and look at the features that every plow offers.

4. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

See this is exactly what I am talking about...I am sure that the plows are great... It is just that I do not think they are the end all for plow choices. It just would be nice to have a thread where 1/2 the post just say "get a blizzard"

Isn't a v plow a multi-position plow?? A Vee plow can do every thing a blizzard can do (scoop, wind row, stack), plus you also have the Vee position. Granted it is not a wide as the 810, but still just as useful.

5. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i have noticed the same thing, except there is no more jon geere, or kubota west posting. everytime someone asks a simple question about thier plow, someone always feels the need to blab about getting a blizzard. i would gladly if they would buy my plow for 4000, but since its 3 yrs old they wont.
    so, for your application, a blizzard would be the best. :)

6. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I dont mind if someone brings up a comment about blizzard if it will help. If there is a guy that says, "hey, I'm new, I saw one of those V plow thingys and it looks like it could help" and someone responds "A _____ plow can do this this and this for you, I like it for these reasons"

I dont post in the ford forum "you shoulda bought a Chevy" when someone how to replace an alternator and I dont tell someone in a Dodge forum that they should "buy a Chevy" when they are asking what color of truck they should order. THAT DOSNT HELP ANYBODY!

Also if someone asks "hey, I'm new, what kinda plow should I buy" and you get "buy _____ its the best" without even knowing what the guy is doing? How can you recomend a specific product when you dont know how it will be used? Maybe the guy is just going to do his own driveway and his parents quickymart lot and THATS IT, does he need a 4500$ plow? Or maybe he has all narrow residential? There is no perfect tool for every job! Each tool has its particular pluses and minuses that lend itself to a certian situation.

I'm not saying V blades ruel all or blizzard sucks. For what I do I admit I wish I had a blizzard. But some people would be better off with a V blade and some people would be better off with a straight. This isnt oppinion these are facts! The rest is mostly my oppinion though ;)

7. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

becuase they are an awesome plow.

blizzard 1-22-05 057.jpg

8. Lazer Man

Lazer Man Senior Member
    from SW Pa.

The simple fact is the Blizzard is as good as everyone says it it is. Every once in a while something different comes along and really makes a big difference in the way we do our job, and this time Blizzard fits the bill. Is it the end all to end alls, there is no such thing. But in this case I've seen contractors that couldn't see the pluses of the Blizzard and were very vocal about Blizzards and all its users claims that the differences could not be "that" great between The Blizzard and other different types of plows. The sediment also was the the plows could not work as said and because of the operations of the plow itself would give problems. Well alot of these nay sayers went out and bought a Blizzard and now the talk has changed, many of those now exclaim the benefits of Blizzards. In finishing I know that the constant push of the Blizzard plow may seem to get old but hey when it does what it claims what else can be said. Blizzard is not the only tool in the plowers arsenal and other plows do have their place.

Bob :D :D :D

9. plowboy41

plowboy41 Junior Member

The main problem I have with my Boss 9'2 is the center shoe and blades breaking. I also have a 8' Diamond. For scraping I would prefer the Diamond but the straight blade is much slower for the apartment complexes I do. I have never had to use the plow in the V position. We usually get lite snows here. My next plow will be a Blizzard. It sounds like they have made some needed improvements. My plan is actually to get 3. I will start with an 810 for the pickup. Then if I like it the dump and the skidsteer will get one. I do like the boss as far as a time saver over the straight blade. When everything is right it works real well. Its keeping everything right thats the problem.

10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Frozen001

This year I bought a Fisher V and my friend bought a 810 Blizzard. Sure they both scoop and are multi position plows. The biggest difference IMO is when windroeing. You can angle the leading edge allowing you to take a bigger pass everytime. A V fully angled is only a straight blade. Now a V with wings would be great.

11. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

There will always be someone with a better mousetrap. That is the nature of innovation and technological advance. It doesn't mean you have to buy the better moustetrap, after all there are a lot of ways to catch mice.....

As for this mousetrap, like all things there are pros and cons. It is strong, versatile, productive, heavy, complicated, and expensive.

Do your homework. Talk, and look, and read, and watch to see what the competitors are doing. Never know, they may cook up a better mousetrap still.

12. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Blizzard/V plows they are both good.I think its more of a personal preference.I would rather a V plow over the blizzard.When we get heavy wet snows here in Connecticut the last thing i want to do is push twice as much material.I happen to enjoy not paying for transmission repairs.Now with bigger diesel trucks the blizzard may be a better choice.I don't see the need to push one or the other give the pro's and con's of each and let the person in question decide.The other forum is really bad, blizzard plow is almost the answer for very question you ask.

13. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

A multi-positional plow is best for roads as it doesn't have the angled things at the end.. or whatever. If you're in the middle of a snow storm, put it in the V position, make a pass down all the roads for at least cars to get out, if needed, and go down all the roads with a V, then angle it to the right the next time you come through, and it'll be wider. At intersections, you can put it in the scoop mode or whatever, and push the snowbanks in, so people can see.... and it won't have much spill of snow.

I think the Blizzard would be best for parking lots. Too wide for deep deep snow... despite what many people say. A V can break into the snow much better.

BTW, someone mentioned this, a standard V plow is different than a multi-positional plow. A standard V plow can't go straight or go into a scoop position.

14. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

That would be a fixed V-Plow ;)

15. salt shaker

salt shaker Member

read on

Frozen001,
    that is why I put in my reply see one work and make the decision for yourself. Man if your not going to take someones advice and be stubborn about it then don't put a thread like this out their for all to see. Sorry if your upset about so many people talking about these plows but you really need to see one work. I think our Boss v-plow is great, I think our 2 Boss straight blades are great, Our 10, Western straight blades were great, till we tried the Boss blades. The Blizzards are not the cure all for every situation but, for the commercial lots that we do they really shine.

Sure in deep snow being so wide they are not the best but, you can suck the wings in and be just fine. Think of it this way, pro wings were great when they came out. Although they were permanant. Then the v-plow came out and you could scoop and v, or use it as a straight blade and windrow. Clean ups became much easier didn't they? You could only go so far till the snow fell off the edges of the blade in any position. Then Blizzard came along, it offers the extra width of the pro wings, the containment of the v, and the advantage of a straight blade that can take a larger cut at a windrow. So the plows are good and people want to let others know that.

Just think back when a blade didn't even have hydraulics and you had to get out to position it one way or the other, and you guys are complaining about new technology.

16. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Like I have said I do not have a problem with the 810, it is just that it seems like when ever some one asks about a plow, there is this "knee jerk" responce "buy a blizzard".

Like I said I am sure blizzard are great plows, and if did enough large parking lots, I might consider one...the tripping on them I still question(gotta see on trip with the wing forward and it hits something in the middle of the blade), as well as tthe location of the hydros and that HUGE controller looks like they put no though into it, and I think there mount could be improved a bit...but until then to me there are plenty of options that work.

17. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

I would put a blizzard on that! "GO Wide" :D

18. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Here's my IDEAL combination:

Blizzard moldboard
    BOSS Lights
    BOSS Pump, pump location and speed
    BOSS handheld control

If the Blizzard would fold into a Vee position, there wouldn't be a reason for another plow.

Heck, had Blizzard had more local dealerships, and a 5year longer track record, I may have went with one on the new truck. But with such good luck and local dealers for BOSS, I feel I made the best decision at the time.

I would still be lost without the Vee position, and the compactness of the Vee position in tight quarters/transport.

19. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I have nothing wrong with blizzard plows at all. This post isnt even about blizzards being a good plow or better or worse than anything else, IMO this is what its about http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=22298 take a look at post #5. This is what i have a problem with. It does nothing to answer the question. It does nothing to help the guy that asked the question.

20. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

All joking aside a blizzard can't V. Comparing the two is like comparing apples to oranges. My new solgan is like blizzards but better. "Once you go V you never go back!" :drinkup: