1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pushing banks back with skid steer and snow blower

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by andy34, Aug 24, 2011.

1. andy34

andy34 Junior Member

I have a John deere 260 and am thinking about getting a snow blower attachment for pushing snow banks back. Do any of you guys push banks back with a snow blower on a skid? How does it work with hard packed snow?

Thanks a lot!
  2. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Well, it's a blower: so you would like to blow the piles back not push them. If you beat on a skidloader blower to much, it will bend and break. They are also very slow when it comes to moving piles of snow.
    The benefit, the piles will disappear with a blower.
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You should be able to make a killing with a SS mounted blower. Just widening driveways/roads after a couple heavy storms should be good business.
  4. pmorrissette

pmorrissette Senior Member

up here, if the snow is left piled for any length of time, it gets rock hard and is very hard to chew through with just a blower. typically, guys will use a wheel loader or loader backhoe to loosen up the pile so the snowblower will work better.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I have one and it isn't as fast as you think.
  6. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

That's right!
  7. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

i Have one also and they have there place but for just moving piles back its slow. we sometimes use another skid to break piles down and then blow them that helps.
    Dont get me wrong they have there place forsure. But for just simly pushing piles back our 257 cat with a bucket with do 10x what a blower will.
  8. andy34

andy34 Junior Member

Thanks for the replies! One of my accounts is about 8 acres of pavement with many small parking lots that go through a heavy wooded area so it makes it hard to push banks back with a loader without damaging trees. Just trying to toss some ideas around to avoid having to haul snow out.
  9. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

I have a blower on the our skid - it works for me doing piles but its non stop. Push all day/nite, switch things over and go after the piles - if they sit to long, I also get harden piles of snow and it takes a while, plus it seems as though it is harder on the blower.
  10. blizzardman617

blizzardman617 Junior Member
    from boston

snow blower

hello to everyone, i am new to the site but im loving everything about ...its great however i was wondering if i could get some answers about snow blowers i need to buy one before the winter comes. i have some accounts that are commercial that are going to need some snow blowers to take care of the load .... anyone have any idea on what i should purchase ? thanks for the help
  11. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

How much snow do you need to move? Are you thinking skid steer mounted blowers, or would a tractor mounted blower work better? The more snow you need to move, the more the tractor blower will shine over the skid blower.
  12. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

You might have just the right usage for it then.

I really like mine in small lots where a loader\dump truck are too big to maneuver. Saves the customer money as well by not having to haul it off.

I also use mine on a parking ramp which eliminates hauling.
  13. leon

leon Senior Member

snow blowers

If you can afford it its better to buy a snow caster with gear drive for the wheels and the snow caster attachment or one of the new Yamahas from Canada.

The snow casters available to day will ride up on snow piles rather than dig into them due to the low weight on the front of the snow caster. The New Hondas have the ability to raise the auger independently of the frame like the new Yamahas.

The BCS tractors and snow casters are all gear driven with no belts and high avalable torque for the cross auger and impeller.

For the money involved the BCS two wheel tractors and the BCS 32 inch snow snow blower are hard to beat unless you are comparing them to the Grillo two wheel tractors for power or the new track drive Yamahas that are currenlty only available only in Canada's Labrador Province.

The only limitation with the Yamahas is they cannot be used the year round use(unless you count snow blower racing, using your snow caster as a water pump or as leaf blower HAHA!!

You can improve the efficiency of the BCS snow caster by installing one of Clarences impeller kits to sweep the impeller housing free of snow an ice eliminating the slush at all times as the snow caster impeller creates a huge amount of friction casting snow out from the snow caster.

The BCS two wheel tractors have independent wheel brakes which make your life much easier whwn needing to turn or back up and turn around.

The new yamahas have been well recieved in Labrador and they were sold out completely.

The Yamaha dealer up in labrador will ship the new snow casters and spare parts.

The issue of heavy wet snow in your area is the killer as a gear driven snow caster will have no trouble with the wet snows you have there and the low speed high traction gear drive with chains and loaded tires are well worth the cost.

The one snow caster that will outperform he above models is the Zaugg Bulldog which is the little brother of the Zaugg Snow Beast. now worries about stacked snow with the Zaugg Bulldog

14. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Pretty sure he's talking about parking lots, not sidewalks. I don't think BCS, Yamaha or Honda make anything that will clear a lot or road in a reasonable amount of time. Could be wrong, though.