1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pushing banks back on a 1/4 mi, driveway?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dave_dj1, Feb 20, 2014.

1. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

I'm a small plow service and I have one driveway that is about 1/4 mile long and I'm looking for a way to push the banks back to widen it,
    I have a 2010 Ram 2500 HD with a Meyer 8c. I keep my drives wide as I can to allow for additional snow accumulations but this last storm we got about 16" from 3:00 am to 5:30 am. No way to plow during the storm as the main roads weren't plowed.
    I would like some advice on whether wings would help pushing them back or are they more for big lots? I'm thinking I could fab up a wing for my pass. side, any thoughts on that?
    thanks,
    dave

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Approach at a 45° angle and push them back with your truck, ain't pretty but it works!

3. Urdum2

Urdum2 Member

Thinking if ya didn't get them pushed back at the beginning of the season and didn't do it each storm then ...bitter cold plus snow equals ice ....rising temps will make them even heavier....rent a end loader......cheaper than repairs on your truck...IMO

4. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

X2

Wings are for covering more area.

5. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

A wing would help to shove them back. I use mine for that application and to do big open roads/lots.
    mine will cut into frozen pils and move them fairly easily since it is a 1 ton.
    If you want, look at jjagwing as they a a video of one on a pickup. I have a coule friends with them on pickups and they work great.

6. brianbrich1

brianbrich1 PlowSite.com Addict

Leave your blade slightly angled and cut/ride one side. Do multiple times then clean/ windrow side over. Repeat for other side

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

We don't wait for the roads to be plowed so we can go plowing.

Plow with the storm.

Why because as you have found out 16" of snow can be a bit of work.

or get bigger equipment.

8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

That's the best line to use.....

Sorry Mr so&so, I couldn't plow cause the roads haven't been plowed, sorry my 4wheel drive truck couldn't make it.

This is coming from a guy that keeps 26 machines fueled up on every event.

9. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

Roads weren't plowed lol, you got a plow !!!! I've plowed myself to plenty of jobs hover it off the ground and go!!!!

Next year I bet you open it up a lot more than you did this year huh

10. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

Well one thing, none of my customers are commercial and most are retired so no hurry to get them out. Seems kind of futile to me to plow driveways when cars can't even go on the roads, not to mention that every time a plow goes by their driveway will get filled up again. You have to remember that I live in the country, it's a different pace. That being said, I guess I didn't clarify what I want to do, I had no issues moving 16" of snow, I keep them wide from day one. The problem is there are ditches, I can't drive in them so I thought if I had something wider I could push them back a little. I can't really do the 45* thing, only in a few spots.
    I am curious as to whether the wings work for my app or not.
    thanks everyone,
    dave

11. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Hire a truck with a wing.........

12. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

I live in the country also, a snowy country, not plowing with the storm here and you can wake up to 4' of lake effect,

Sounds like you will be abusing your truck and should hire a loader or bobcat to do the work!!

Next year put in a clause in event of pushing back the banks it's extra

13. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

lolThumbs Up

It's not about if they can drive on the public streets or not, it's about keeping the drive open.

If your using a pic-up and it snows a foot of heavy wet snow do you want to plow it at 12" or at 6".
    I'd rather do it a 6"....

14. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Ring Ring

911: 911, please state your emergency

Caller: I think my husband is having a heart attack.

911: we are dispatching a ambulance to your location.

Caller: thank you and have them bring their own plow. You see I live on the end of a quarter mile road that has 16ins of snow.

15. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

Without seeing it, sounds like over the coarse of the winter your lane got more narrow over the coarse of plowing this season. If the snow is pushable(not frozen) like somebody else said, just keep plowing at a angle, I've been to jobs with heavy snow like that and I do it that way sometimes. If the snow is frozen up, just get a skidloader or backhoe, to push snow back. That's the way I would do it. I actually had to do that today at my shop with the loader because of tons of plowing and snow drifts my truck could barely fit through my lane.

16. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

you have access to a smaller tractor and loader?

that would have a longer reach and would allow you access to push the banks back? this can be done on a warmer day and during on non snow event you wouldn't have to push back every bank but like every other bucket width. this allow you spill areas for the snow to roll into as your plowing with your truck.

or rent one for a weekend and make you some pushing room mid winter and your golden

just my thought's

17. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

This works I do it with a skid loader.
    "you wouldn't have to push back every bank but like every other bucket width. this allow you spill areas for the snow to roll into as your plowing with your truck."

18. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

And that was a choice the home owner made.
    As to ware he lived and how he was going to deal with it.

It can take days for the city to plow streets too.
    and days for rural roads to be plowed also
    \
    Your not responsible for it snowing, what others chose to do or were they live.

They send in the fire dept, rescue.;)

19. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Drive in straight, drop blade, turn to side, lift blade, back up, repeat.

20. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Wings really won't help because they are actually angled in a bit (my Western MVP wings are at least). The eings hinder snow being thrown as you're plowing. I take them off if I really want the snow as far to the side as possible. I have a long driveway and stake only only one side. I angle the blade so the snow builds up on the side without yhe stakes. I then plow about five feet off the driveway. That leaves alot of room for drifting and banks to build up. Also leaves room to push the banks back more head on. You say you have ditches, so that might not be an option for you.