1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mick76, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I'm an Arctic fan but I do have an open mind...... I'm in the market for a 10' pusher for one of my skids... are there any other products (besides the traditional rubber edged pushers) that are on the market now? The Boss only has the 12' and no skid mount. I don't like protecs steel trip (I like the floating action like the Arctic)....Any of you guys know of a product similar to the arctic or boss's setups?
  2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

The Artics are unique. I have a 14' hd, two 14' rubber edge Protecs & a 12' Protec ist. Each has it's points, I thought boss was coming out with other models, but if you like the Artic why not just stick with them ?
  3. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Boss has a pusher its 14ft. i demoed it and it is GREAT!
    I was at a dealer And boss was demoing it.

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Hey Mike, last year I was talking to BOSS R&D and we were talking about different sizes and he eluded to coming out with different sizes, whether it be this year or next. A 14 or16ft and an 8ft comes to mind. He was saying they wanted to be sure about this one first. Artic also lowered their prices quite a bit from last season, didn't know if you knew that or not. Other than this two manufacture's I don't know of any with a slip hitch.
  5. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I'm considering others because of Arctics prices... both dealers I've spoke with eluded to the fact that artcis will do another price increase (because of the price of steel i was told)... they have left over models from last year... msrp is 5400 for a 10 footer and If I buy now it would be 5025 ... I'll probably end up with another arctic but didn't know if another company had something in the works
  6. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Isnt Avalanche working on a "slip hitch" design?
  7. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

I think its only on the bigger plows unless you fab it yourself
  8. smokejmpr

smokejmpr Inactive

I am going to shift gears
    But do you all think about Protech?
  9. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Have you had quotes on a Protech?
  10. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I don't even consider them... IMO rubber edge pushers are a waste of $....no offense to anyone just my opinion....but I did check out the horst 3200W ....that thing is pretty cool but I wished it conformed to the dips and valleys of the lots (I'm kind of spoiled with that Arctic feature).... If it had that feature I'd probably try them out....

Horst, if you read this site, is there anyway you could do a similar feature like bosses'
    bx12 trip edges that conform to the lots into your plows?
  11. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Mick - Protech has IST (Steel Trip Edge) they also offer a 2 sided pusher rubber on one side and steel on other flip over for one and flip back over for the other. This gives you the best of both worlds...IMO

Now we don't and won't have one of these due to cost, and it for their rubber only in our opinion you can't beat Avalanche. However, knowing what the Arctic's cost you might consider Protech for less money.

12. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

It depends on the work your doing, in our area the Rubber Edge is the standard. While the Artic scrapes amazingly well, the cost to opererate per hour (we get about 75 hrs cutting edges, @ $ 350/set, have burned up a set of end plate shoes now @ 200 hrs (I don't know what they'll cost), & bent two end plates, due to very heavy wet snow, pushing into the pile, etc @ $ 1000, & two blocks @ 50/ea) is much higher than a rubber edge pusher. I can justifiy the added cost because most of the lots it is used on are all inclusive...so the huge savings in salt, more than off sets the additional operating cost. There is an expensive learning curve with them, have limitations & require the "right" operator, once that is worked out (I now have the right guy), its good. Personally I have run all our pushers & if I was in a loader full time it would have an Artic. Protec IST second, rubber third. That said last year I added a rubber edged pusher to our fleet, the durability can't be beat, & unfortunatly I am not running machines at every site.
    Depending on the way accounts are set up it may or may not be worth the added cost for an Artic. For instance, we do a bunch of schools where the district does the salting in house, it would not be benificial on those accounts, as they are government, price based bid accounts.
    I also think eventually you will see a hybrid of pusher come out of the mix, just as Protec offered the first mass produced pushers, now there are a bunch of manufactures of them, the design will continue to be improrved upon.
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  13. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I have checked out the protech IST but again its a "standard" push box with a steel cutting edge... but what I'm sold on is the conforming edges of the arctic... they really do save you time and money.... the arctics cost about double the stand rubber box ... protech 10 box $2800 and an arctic 10 $5200... but they save you time and $ in the long run

In my area the rubber edge is standard also..... I also have alot of people checking out my arctics.... I'm still on my original cutting edges (their about 1/2 worn and have about 275 hours on.. My operator with the loader is a 63 yo retired x military... he babies these things and treats it better then I do...... He's yet to damage anything on the pusher, even a block so I don't think their more to run then your standard box... they actually save you $ with the right operator... Your correct on the type of accounts.... All the accounts I have that have the arctics on them are seasonal... for a per push/application I cant see spending the extra $ on a arctic but again mine are seasonal. I just wish there would be more of a choice with these types of pushers... I'm a fan of arctic yes, but where my wallet is concerned and the price of these things (which keeps going higher and higher) I'd like to entertain all my options.....

Thanks for both your inputs.....
  14. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

maybe Daniels?
  15. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

I heard a rumour to watch out for Avalanche's new pushers this year.
  16. Joe Blade

Joe Blade Member

Erin is to far

I doubt Sectional is going to stand by and watch other Manufacturers plagiarize their concepts. I here there's quite a war-chest back in Illinois just for this sort of thing. Anyway did you hear I am not at Stewart's anymore? and hows everything in Barrie?
  17. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Hey Joe. Heard your representing Arctic...is that true. Give me a shout when you get a chance.
  18. Joe Blade

Joe Blade Member

Its true eastern Canada only
  19. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

copy cats????