1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pusher weight requirements

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

SP06C
    6’ 375 lbs 30 HP/ 2500 lbs 3 yd

Im looking at a protech pusher online. Says their smallest 6' model requires 30hp and a 2500lb machine. Do they really need that much? I mean my small tractor has a 48" bucket already and always has seemed small pushing snow, unless your talking 2-3' tall which ive never had it in before. The machine is also only 1200lbs, plus loader assembly of 400lbs and rear ballast of 400lbs and driver

That comes to about 2200 plus this front push box of 375 so thats 2500lbs right? Im thinking of having it mounted straight up to my 27hp diesel 4x4 hydro 9mph Simplicity Legacy XL tractor, its a garden/sub compact but i cant see why it couldnt run this box.

Anyone know what these boxes run?$

2. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I'm wondering the same thing about my Kubota L3240. It comes in a little under 6k pounds with the loader, HD bucket, filled tires, cab, etc. And I would like to put the compact 8 footer on it. I have heard it can't do it, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and just try it. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes!

3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i have a massey gc2300 it is 24hp, and about 2200lbs, i built a 6 ft push and have no problems pushing at all,(i wouldn't want to go larger though) however, expect there are going to be times when you need to stop and take a half swipe again

4. buckwheat_la

your situation is a little different, i would think you should have no problem with a 8 footer, a skidsteer that isn't that big would have no problem with a 8 ft push, however i think you might have the same that all tractors have which is they don't turn well with a push

5. merrimacmill

from MA

I remember you saying on my thread that you think my machine could handle the compact 8 footer. I really think it could also, esp with the situation it will be in. Its going to be in a large, wide open lot doing short runs moving snow into the main path for the skid steer with the 10 footer on it to push down to the pile at the end of the lot. I plan on having the two working in a + format (to sort of illustrate it for you) one machine taking the others snow to the pile.

A thought I've been having though, I'm going to want as much weight on it as I can get really. So I notice I can buy a scoop dogg compact much cheaper than the Pro-Tech, but it has a SS quick attach mount were the pro tech compact has a bucket and chain mount. I am thinking the bucket and chain mount will be better for my particular situation because it will allow the additional weight of the bucket to be on the front end aiding in traction and steering. Also, I have not used one, but I imagine the bucket mounts allow a slight bit of "floating" over the SS mount. Just enough so when your trying to slightly turn you can lift the bucket a tiny bit to add front tire weight and still have the pusher on the ground...

Any thoughts on this?

6. merrimacmill

from MA

Thanks for all the input. I would buy the protech 7 footer, but it appears they no longer make it... At least thats what my dealer was telling me.

7. buckwheat_la

honestly, i have not used a bucket mount snow push until this year, but i think you are pretty close to one the money, i am trying to recall what kind of skidsteer you have, but if it is going to handle the 10 foot ok, i would imagine the 8 ft on a 6000lb tractor should be fine, as far as the floating and such i would suggest that having the bucket mount isn't a bad idea, but if you are doing it for weight, the weight you really need is in the back of the tractor, the front already has the engine for weight

8. merrimacmill

from MA

My skid steer is a Case 85XT with the counter weight option. And when I said weight, I was talking about when I'm pushing with a tractor and need to turn and I can't because the loader being in float took all the weight off the front end. So I'll lift the loader slightly to get that weight back on the front wheels. My thought was the combination of the loader weight, bucket weight, and the slight float capability I might gain would really make the 8 footer work ok for my situation.

I mean if I was planning on showing up and plowing a big lot with 8 inches of snow on it, that is one thing. But the snow on this lot won't reach over 2-3 inches. Maybe 4 tops during non business hours, so that is why I think I should be ok.

Its just nice getting some re-assurance when I'm about go to out and drop 2k on a pusher on the chance that it will work ok haha.

9. buckwheat_la

i think you are going to be fine, a quick question, how handy are you with a welder?
    the reason i ask is that you could save a crap load of money doing a push yourself

10. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

i'm sure that's recommended weight not the weight you absolutely have to have.

11. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

and a 6-footer should run ya about $1,600.00

12. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

As long as you aren't trying long runs you'll be OK. The machine will likely start spinning all four tires and run out of weight before power.

13. onsight

onsight Senior Member

A couple of years back I had 1 truck down with a bad trans, so I rented a 8' pusher for my 47hp Montana tractor and it worked pretty well. It did have a problem with longer runs with really wet heavy snow. Just had to be smart about it.

14. merrimacmill

from MA

I'm a decent welder. Mig, stick, and Tig. But, I just don't have the time to get involved. I'm the type of guy that would rather just spend the cash and buy one.