1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pusher trackers? preventing stolen pushers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NW Snow Removal, Feb 10, 2012.

1. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

had a pusher taken off a job site. We use lojack on our machines. Nothing on the pushers. That will have to change. The thieves are really getting on my nerves. What do you use to keep track of your pushers? This was parked right across the street from the local PD and sometimes they even park right next to our equipment to do paperwork.
  2. Dagwell

Dagwell Junior Member

keep an eye on craigs list and ebay in the next few weeks. You could fabricate a little lock box on the back containing a gps tracker. After my 12 ton trailer was stolen I pout a gps tracker on everything.
  3. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Weld it to the machine if it's used just for pushing.
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Good idea, weld it inside a box so the only way to get the gps out is to cut it open with a torch.
  5. NW Snow Removal

what type of tracker? Id be really helpful to know what brand & type/model# has worked for you so I can get it ASAP.
  6. Dagwell

Dagwell Junior Member

You could also put a heavy chain on it and lock it to the machine. IMO most theft occurs when its easy. If the guy had to bring a torch to get it or move a machine that was blocking it he probably would have found someone elses to steal that night.
  7. Red_Rattler

Red_Rattler Senior Member

It was probably stolen for scrap, its most likly already cut into 30 pieces... crappy deal but im sure you had insurance
  8. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

9. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

Damn thieves will take anything that's not nailed down, and some things that are nailed down. :mad:

Those are kinda neat. Looks to be bigger than most of the little units sold on eBay, but I think the really small ones operate on a couple of AAA batteries. I think those run all the time, instead of being activated if/when needed, and the batteries need changing often. (Probably too often.)

I remember an episode of COPS or a similar show where they recovered a loader or other heavy equipment because it had a LoJack on it. I seem to recall it was stuffed into a garage under a house.
    It's good when a device gets the property back, and leads law enforcement right to where the thief lives. :cool:

That's a cool feature, but check out the first customer review on their home page. Looks like somebody was using one to "get the goods" on their spouse. :eek:

Are pushers commercially made, or are they something purpose-built by the user? (Meaning would there be an ID plate/serial number on one, something that would prove it didn't belong to the ****head who got caught with it in his possession.)
  10. NW Snow Removal

our pusher does have a serial number on it. thanks for the advice.
  11. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

Here's an idea, if you get that one back, or buy another one: Make a big weld bead of "NW" in one or more conspicuous places on it. Although a lot of thieves aren't too bright, maybe even Joe Critter the opportunist thief won't want to take a chance of getting caught with something that has someone else's initials on it.

Which reminds me: read this for a great story about a critter getting his comeuppance. :D

BTW, I've done some research on the small real-time trackers sold on eBay (and Amazon, too, I think), and many of them can be programmed with a "geo-fence" setting. If it goes outside the limits, it sends an alert. You do need good GSM/GPRS cellular coverage (AT&T/T-Mobile) for it to be able to send messages and be programmed from your phone. The internal battery on those is only good for maybe 20 hours, but they can be run on 12 volts.

Let us know if you get your pusher back.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  12. NW Snow Removal

did not get the pusher back yet. However we replaced it with the one we won as winners of the greatest story never told contest winners and we did put a dewalt mobile lock on it. 30 day battery life, geofence setting if it leaves a 400yd radius from its spot I will get notified. Also if it is tampered with it notifies me.

I saw another sectional near my shop missing today from shop and save at 88th and harlem and a police officer was there talking to someone. One of our drivers went to the same shop and save last week and when he came out 30 mins later his truck with spreader was gone in broad daylight. unbelievable.
  13. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

I welded our Initials on the harness and plow.
    If someone wants to take them they will no matter what you do.
  14. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Other than tracking do you do anything to slow thieves down, ie: For pushers put the loader over them, or for blades put pressure against a wall or curb?...
  15. NW Snow Removal

Its hard to slow them down when the key to my machine is the same for any other CAT skid steer. all you gotta do is goto CAT dealer(same for bobcat, case, NH unless its got a code to start for 3 grand extra) and get a key. they only need about 2 minutes to load it.
  16. contractor078

contractor078 Senior Member

anyone have any luck with having the dealer re key them? so that they are not on a master key system? my fear is i lose the dam key. and then what do you do with the door key? get that one changed too?

17. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

I would see if they could make a master key for only your fleet, so they all have the same keys, but only YOUR fleet has that key, that would be nice! Thumbs Up
  18. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

I have custom keys and a cut-off switch on my machines (after a JD 6230 got stolen last year)!
  19. NW Snow Removal

chicago cbs 2 news at 10pm tonight. they are running a story on snow plow equipment theft
  20. Precedence

Precedence Senior Member

I saw this at my dealers shop today:

Apparently 4 AA Lithium ion batteries will make it run for 3 years.

It's a small gray box about 4" X 6" and it's probably paint-able so i wouldn't even worry about welding a box around it, if somebody is swiping it they probably aren't even going to think to look for trackers especially if it's painted to blend in with the rest of the pusher.