1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pusher Size vs Machine

Discussion in 'Pro-Tech Sno Pushers' started by EdNewman, Nov 15, 2010.

1. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

So what is it that makes a machine able to push a larger box? Is it horsepower? Is it weight? Is it traction?

I have an A300 which nicely pushes a 10' box. In icy conditions it can sometime loose traction, but all in all, it is nicely sized.

I am looking at a JCB Midi CX, it weighs about the same (9000#) but has 50hp instead of 81hp, will this make a big difference? It has skinnier tires, so it may get better traction? It has a larger lift capacity 3500 vs 3000 SAE.

I am trying to decide if I should get a 8', 10' or 12' box for it.

Thoughts?

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I would say all three. But the most important thing, I think would be weight. I might look more toward a 8 foot to be safe. I dont think it would push a 12 foot very well at all and it may struggle with a 10ft due to only 50hp.

3. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

Being only 50 hp I would stick with an 8' box I have a 56hp machine 7000# S185 and it will only push an 8, but I have a 56hp Komatsu wheel loader 11000# and it has a 12' box hope this helps

4. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

4700dan, you nailed my problem. A 50hp skidsteer can't do a 10' but a 50hp loader can do a 12'. Trying to better understand what makes what. I was trying to find some specs on torque for the skid steer, but bobcat does not publish them. The Midi CX makes over 100 ft-lbs, not sure how that compares. Leaning towards a 10'

5. cat272c

cat272c Junior Member

my smaller skidloader pushes my 10 foot box beter than my 272c it looses traction to much power breaks tire free

6. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

When my A300 can't push it is the tires spinning. That would be a traction and weight issue rather than HP.

7. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Get new tire (snows). I never realized the difference with skids till I did. Our 873 with stock tire was horrible with an 8' angle blade, clients would think the operator was accused of being reckless. Switched tire for last season, I happened to fill in one day. I just about kicked myself in the A#$, should of started out with these tires, like a completly differet machine. This season the machine doesn't have a home, so I'm going to play with it & our 10' backhoe pusher to see how it does @ the shop. Maybe take it out to a site.

8. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

What are you running for tires? A "snowolf" type?

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Get the biggest pusher the skid will comfortably handle, and will fit in your lots.

You can always take smaller bites when the snow is heavy.

10. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

I put a 10' on the JCB, and even with only 50hp, it pushes it fine. I am starting to be a strong believer in weight and traction over HP.

11. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

Would a Dodge truck with a Cummins that makes 1000 hp push more snow than one with 300hp? Nope. EdNewman has it right. Traction and weight are the key. John Deere 544E only has a 120 hp 5.9l diesel.

12. Diesel_brad

Diesel_brad Senior Member

When i used a loader(JD 544) for pushing snow it had a 18' pusher on it. Unless the snow was really wet you couldnt stop the machine

13. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

Another storm... 10' is def fine. Only dissapointment is the ProTech pusher. Half the season down and the rubber edge is torn already, Just seems light duty compared to my "low-end" RCS with 3 seaons and not a problem :-(