1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pusher shoes

Discussion in 'Pro-Tech Sno Pushers' started by UNISCAPE, Oct 17, 2009.

1. UNISCAPE

UNISCAPE Member

Anyone know where i can buy new shoes for a 8' and a 10' online?

2. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

pro-tech's website

3. bartolini

bartolini Member

Pro Tech Shoes/Pads

We welded 3/4" steel ourselves. Could not see spending $450 just on pads. However, we did not get the best guage steel. I will look into the right steel next time. I also want to see how long my welded ones last.

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Have a local fab\welding shop make some up for you.

I would like to tell you what steel to use, but my fab guy won't tell me.

ProTech's are too expensive for what you are getting.

5. bartolini

bartolini Member

One of my snow plow driver/mechanic knows the name of the special steel grade for push box shoes and where to get it . I will post it next time I talk to him.

6. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

The steel you need for pusher shoes is A-400 it's harden steel, and making them your self is A LOT cheaper we have done it for a few years now, we order the metal from a steel plant they cut the shape and size and we take it to a welder to weld together

7. redman6565

we got three sets of homemade harden steel shoes that are running on their thrid season...saves the big payup

8. redman6565

but i've also bought the pro-tech self leveling shoes as well and they are nice for the self levelin feature. i've done mods to them with harden steel to make them last longer as well.

9. bartolini

bartolini Member

Self Leveling Push Box Shoes

Thanks for the A-400 steel, that's sounds like it. I saw self leveling shoes advertised on. I find it very difficult to get some men to understand box angle degrees and float positioning in the Bobcats. Does anyone think the self leveling shoes will help the less sophisticated employees do a better job? :)

FYI, I like Pro Tech boxes and am buying three more this week from our local Bobcat dealer. The replacement pad thing is just an economic issue we can work around because we weld in house.

10. fairrpe86

fairrpe86 Senior Member

We make our own shoes as well. We have about 10 pushers and just use the steel we use for cutting edges. We buy 10 foot strips of steel and use the scraps to make our shoes.. They last atleast a season if not more depending on how much pushing the pusher sees in the season. Much much cheaper than buying them premade.

11. redman6565

steel trip blades or just a straight steel blade?

12. fairrpe86

fairrpe86 Senior Member

Just straight blade steel.

13. redman6565

does it get caught up on catch basin grates or uneven pavement?

14. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

Yeah, the protechs are really expensive. We welded our own too.

15. fairrpe86

fairrpe86 Senior Member

I have never had an issue with uneven pavement or catch basins, and none of the other operators have had issues either as far as I know. The shoes give a bit of resistance the first 5 maybe 10 minutes on their first use, but after that no other issues.

16. redman6565

i might have to try a blade...how thick, 0.5" inch or 1" thick steel blade?

17. bartolini

bartolini Member

Recycling Old Cutting Edges

Genius! Thanks for the suggestion fairrpe

18. fairrpe86

fairrpe86 Senior Member

I dont remember what we use for our cutting edges, I wanna say it is 5/8's but dont quote me on that. Essentially the new piece of steel gets welded to the old shoe thats already on there. Sometimes we have to do a bit of extra fabrication work to make that work, but most of the time the new piece just goes right on top of the existing. We weld one of the curved sides on, get out the torch and a sledge to bend it. Weld the longer flat side down, then repeat the torch and welding process for the other curved side. Then we reset our rubber and fix any mount issues we have and its pretty much good to go for the season.

19. redman6565

we used 1" harden steel last year and the shoes are still 1" thick even after plowing all of last season with them

20. fairrpe86

fairrpe86 Senior Member

It very well could be 1" we are using, like I said I cant quite remember. We dont do shoes on every pusher each year, its mainly just the rubber replacement or adjusting we have to worry about.