1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pusher or Plow?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by nepatsfan, Oct 24, 2010.

1. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

I landed a bigger parking lot this year and I am going to use my cat 226 skid steer along with a 1 ton dump all the time. I will also be using a couple more 1 tons as they free up from other small parking lots and driveways. I have a couple questions. Do I get a pusher box or a plow? What is the difference between a pusher box and a couple wings welded on the ends and a pusher box. In other words would it be more beneficial to make something would angle with the ears on it...maybe bolted on somehow so they could be easily removed and used like a conventional plow. I have a snow bucket on it now but it will be more productive with a plow or a pusher. What are the pros and cons to these? Thanks in advance.
  2. PLBGround

PLBGround Junior Member

I would recommend a push box, but realize the name push box. It will leave some clean up for a truck to do, but works great for large lots. Alot of snow can moved and stacked in a short amount of time. Most push boxes leave about 1/4" of snow on the lot. We are a sub contractor for plowing and complete off site removal of snow. We run a New Holland L190 with a 9 foot quick attach push box and a New Holland L185 with a 9 foot Boss super trip edge plow. One machine wind rows and back drags and the other pushes bulk snow and stacks. I also have 2 trucks pushing and cleaning the same lot. Once you find something that works stick with it.
  3. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

The 226 is only a 54hp machine. I would stick with a plow for this smaller machine. Is it a 2 speed?
  4. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I dont think cat ever offered 2sp in the 226...but not 100% on that.

My good friend has this exact machine and runs a 7ft pusher with excellent results. If equipped with dedicated snow tires, this machine would handle a 8ft pusher without to much trouble.

I say go with a pusher.
  5. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Snocrete has more experience than I do in this area. Listen to him lol.
  6. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

Check out the Kage plow and pusher system all in one unit.

7. Effinay

Effinay Member

Bit of a newbie here but I'm looking for similar information. I just purchased a New Holland LB480 and was considering mounting a spare 9' Fisher that I have laying around. I don't have hydraulics to operate the angle feature (yet) and was going to "fix" it to push stright ahead. Would this machine be better suited with a pusher of some sort? I am maintaining my 800' gravel driveway, as well as a couple designated parking areas for 3-4 cars. I've got another smaller (bobcat size) articulated loader that I'm restoring that I was going to use for "clean-up". Thanks for looking and I'm gonna try to get some pics in here somehow...