1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pusher for wheel loader

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DirtyJerzey, Oct 6, 2012.

1. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

I am probably going to go with a 10' to be on the safe side, but I want to get some advice for the seasoned guys as this is our first loader we will be using for snow. Older Michigan loader, scale weight was just under 13k lbs, 80hp gross/74hp net. I would like to try and run this machine between 2-3 accounts which also makes the 10' width easier for transport. But if a 12' model would be that much more of a time saver it may be worth it.

I also think I would stay away from the loader models and either use a backhoe version or even the skid version as the previous owner of the loader had made a quick adapter plate for the machine. This way if we ever needed we could always hook up one of our smaller skid steer pushers to the machine

2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

That's a small wheel loader. Our Kawaski 60z is about 19,000 lbs, we run a 12' Protec IST on it. Started out with a 14' backhoe model, operator crumpled both sides from hitting curbs.
    The thing to remember is the sideplates are different thicknesses of steel, it's not just the height. That's what Protec told me when they rebuilt the pusher. In our case we had a 19,000 lb machine, behind a pusher designed to be used by a 15,000 machine. On the flip side my Bobcat 873, which is 7500 lbs, with snow tire will push a 10' box all day long. I'll be following this because we bought a Bobcat 1600 (a 6,000 lb wheel loader) last season, it hasn't been full set up yet.

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I wouldn't go with a 12 footer, that machine isn't big enough. Our Dresser is a 19,000lb machine with 108hp and we run the Boss BX12 on it and in heavier snows it's pedal to the metal. You'll find unless these accounts are very close (like less than a mile away) it might take you awhile to get there. Our top speed was 23mph but on dry level roads and a very bouncy scarey ride at times. Maybe look at Aric and see if they make a 10ft thats taller than their low pro series.

4. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

I have a Clark 55C and it is a good match for a 12 foot loader box, that being said I wouldn't want much bigger. What is the model of your machine?

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

The smallest Arctic HD is 12

6. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I would stick to the 10 if it were me. I have a 96 hp Cat 922b. It is an older machine, but runs like a top, and it just barley handles a Boss 12 footer.

7. Snowplow71

Snowplow71 Senior Member

I would go with a ten footer. All my Case 621's can handle a 16' but we choose to run 14's, yes its smaller but you also aren't working the snot out of the machine. Sometimes you can get more done with a little less pusher because you can go that much faster. Also depends on operators, do they have half a brain and know when they're pushing the machine a little hard?

8. DirtyJerzey

I am thinking the 10' is the best bet. Each account is within 2miles of eacother and would be a huge time saver to just drive down the road with a 10' box compared to having to unload a 12' pusher and trailer it to the next site. Im sure the machin could handle a 12' but I would rather not push the machine to the limit.

Now the next step is do I go with a loader version or a backhoe/skid version. The previous onwer fabricated a quick attach mount so I can use it with all of our skid buckets/pushers as well.I know some people feel that a quick hitch pusher is better for the machine as it vibrates less etc... I just got off the phone with Protech and they told me the materials are all the same spec for loader or backhoe version, the only difference is height. the 10' loader version is 4' tall and carries 12yds of snow and the 10' backhoe/skid version is 3' tall and carries 9yds of snow

9. PhilFromErie

If you can I'd go loader. The height makes a big difference in my opinion.

10. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

Our loader matches up almost exactly with yours 910 cat, 14000lbs 75hp and a 10ft is a good fit

11. DirtyJerzey

bucketweat, are you running a loader version or a lower profile version such as a backoe one.

12. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

We built our own, 36x36 sides and 10ft wide with our own trip mechanism...

13. hotrod15650

hotrod15650 Junior Member
    from PA

Try giving Steel-Tec a call. They are always very helpful and their pusher prices are reasonable for very well made pushers. They have always treated me right. www.steel-tec-usa.com

14. PhilFromErie

I heard the rubber on steel-tech wasnt up to snuff. How has you'r experience been?

15. hotrod15650

hotrod15650 Junior Member
    from PA

I have had good luck with them. If you use them right they last as long as any others. I have bought replacement rubber from an internet outfit that didnt last but no probs with the steel-tec

16. MnM

MnM Senior Member

After reading all these posts and others I think the 10 footer is going to be your best bet. that 12 footer with alot of snow is just asking for trouble. I would hate to see that machine stuck in the middle of a lot somewhere with a 12 ft box full of snow and a blown motor .....................................................................................10 ft protech babyThumbs Up