1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pusher cutting edges

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by muff, Jan 31, 2008.

1. muff

muff Junior Member

This is my first post, although I've been lurking around the site reading the threads for months now. I can't believe how much helpful information is provided. :)

I've got 2 FFC/Sweepster 10' pushers with rubber edges that I run on my large skid steers. They are about 4 or 5 years old, so when I purchased them they didn't offer steel trip cutting edges, or poly. That being said, I've finally had it with the rubber edges & need to go a different route. The rubber edges wear well and last a long time, but they do not clean well, do not always stay aligned evenly, and create extra drag if you don't run them correctly (ie-are not fool proof for all my operators).

I figured I could buy some aftermarket poly edges and try to retro fit them to make them work, or more elaborately install a steel trip edge set-up if I could even get a hold of one aftermarket.

Also, FFC/Sweepster still only offers the rubber edge to this date.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for any and all ideas/suppliers, etc.

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We were just talking about seeing if the Protech IST cutting edge would retrofit on a rubber edge blade. Be worth looking into, I think it will work with a little fabbing. I hate rubber as most people know on here and have switched all of our pusher's to steel trip. We did convert some in our shop but the one's you buy work so much better. I think if they had of had the Protech edge out, I would of had good results with switching to it. Good Luck.

3. muff

muff Junior Member

JD Dave,

Thanks for the feedback. I've seen that you are very active on this site and will certainly take your input to heart. So, in your opinion would it be a waste of time to try and simply insert a poly edge where the rubber one currently mounts? By your reply I take it you would go steel all the way, hands down. IS this correct?

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I've never actually tried poly but I would assume it to be much better then rubber, but will wear fairly fast. Steel is probably worth the effort but you wouldn't be out much trying the poly. If you do try the poly, let us know how it works because I'm curious.:drinkup:

5. muff

muff Junior Member

JD Dave,

I'm going to start searching for poly edges and try one out if I can find one(s) to match. You bet I will post anything I learn.

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds good. Would like to know price too.:drinkup:

7. muff

muff Junior Member

JD,

I ordered a 10' class 2 ploy edge for one of my pushers. Class 2 means that it is a little more rigid, and is 2" thick. I went with the 12" tall too. Decided to spend a little more $ in hopes of it working well and not wondering if I should have got the better one from the get go.

The only kicker is that it is a blank. That is, I will have to cut/router the holes in it so it matches up to my particular pusher bolt patter. Shouldn't bee too big of a deal though.....

The cost was about 50 per foot, for the class 2. Not cheap, but hopefully worth it.

I don't know when it will get here, if I will have time to get it installed, if I do get it installed, if we will have snow to push, but I will let you know how it works even if it is next season.

BTW, I would have pm'd you, but the site wouldn't let me.....What is the deal with that?

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It wiil be a bit of work to slot the holes being that it's 2" thick but I'm sure you can do it. You can't PM until your post count is 15.

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Just because he's active doesn't mean he knows what he's talking about. j\k

I've had mixed results with the poly edges. One worked fairly well while the other seems to be not scraping as well as rubber, not sure.

If winter ever ends, and after some of the crap we've had this year, I'm going to be either upgrading to some IST's or retrofitting a couple. Or a combination. Especially after the junk we had last night.

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We had that same junk, most of the guys with rubber were using there buckets when finished plowing, to scrap the hardpack up. Our steel scraped really well. All the guys that said you don't need steel, have now jumped on the band wagon. ain't that right Mark. If salt gets scarce, steel is very important!!!

11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I never said it wasn't necessary, just wasn't available when I bought mine. I can definitely see the advantages.

Wonder if it's possible on the foldout models?

12. muff

muff Junior Member

Like I said, I am going to try the poly route, but based on what you guys are saying, I may have to try retro fitting a steel trip edge before all is in and done. If either of you guys find a good steel trip edge that you are going to, or have used, to retro fit, I'd love some info., price, cost and time to adapt, etc. Thanks.

13. muff

muff Junior Member

Like I said, I am going to try the poly route, but based on what you guys are saying, I may have to try retro fitting a steel trip edge before all is in and done. If either of you guys find a good steel trip edge that you are going to, or have used, to retro fit, I'd love some info., price, cost and time to adapt, etc. Thanks.

Just curious Mark, how long has your poly edge lasted?

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I was just trying to get a rise out of you but it didn't work, you must be in a good mood.:D