1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pusher choice for skid

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jvm81, Aug 20, 2012.

1. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

Running S650 bobcat machines. Pusher's, large buckets, etc.

What is most cost effective?
    What brand or style of pusher is "good" "better" "BEST"
    What size could I run?

Ones I have looked at artic and kage.

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Seasonal or hourly account?

3. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I know where your going with this........ :nod:Thumbs Up

4. Cover Guy

Cover Guy Senior Member

I own a artic but I would take a look at a boss if I were to by a new one

5. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I know this is like a ford vs. chevy discussion (almost at least), but my input would be rubber edge pro-tech. Simple, economical, if it breaks just weld it, "less" operator training, you get the idea.. Even for steel edge units, I enjoy the IST over spring models, mainly because of the lack of moving parts.

I know people like the scraping ability of the Artic units, and I'm sure this more important on a company to company, and region to region basis. But I find that the rubber edge models offer me just what I need, especially because I pre-treat quite often, and they do it simply and affordably.

6. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

I would agree with the above alot of the time.
    Simple inexpensive rubber edge pshers are great we havea few protechs and nothing to complain about.

I am interested in the new Boss pushers also.
    We do have one Kage and it is great also where we use it.

Alot depends on where you are, how your using it, and how you are charging for it.

In all inclusive seasonals I can see an arctic being alot better with good scraping and cleaning in one pass saving time and salt.

In some per push or hourly places I would keep it simple and cheap with a rubber protech.

7. MetroProperties

MetroProperties Junior Member

2 yard snow bucket

8. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

Everything we do is hourly. BUt with a pusher I would talk to owners and say were more effecient that before and therefore........ I think it would sell. No different than us mowing/maintanence with these companies that we do. Larger equipment - more effecient equipment, less time on property. How do you guys do it if you make the switch to bigger, better, more effeicent means of doing things?

9. buildinon

buildinon Senior Member

Pushers make a HUGE difference when clearing a facility, as they save you time which makes you more money. But they do costs associated with them that you have to consider before hand.
    Are you going to be leaving said piece of equipment at the property, or would you be moving from property to property?
    That was one of the factors that came into play when I made my purchase. That and security. I do a lot of work in downtown Chicago, and there is not a lot of places to leave a piece of equipment with a pusher just sitting around in between snow falls, or secure places. So I opted for the HLA 3200 series Snow Wing that fits 50-80hp skids, and I can trailer around the city between job sites. Yes it costs more, but, it saves me in other ways.
    Here's some of the advantages in my opinion:

1)The "wing" (sb3200w611 is the one I went with) gives you a 6' pusher box when it is in the closed position
    2)When it is in the straight blade position it opens to a full 11' wide for either stacking or just clearing
    3)You can have the blade open to the 11' position and the angle it to windrow just like a normal plow (no other pusher that I know of does that) or you can close off one end so there is no tail off.
    4)You can rotate the �wings� back so that you can then pull up to a door or a loading dock and then back drag the area just like any other plow, but the snow is caught between the closed wings for less clean up. Which in turns saves cost on needing a second truck there to clean up the areas that the pusher couldn't�t get to and you need a pick-up to get to.
    5)With the box closing up to 6' wide, it is easy to load on to a trailer and move around the city from job site to job site without having to unhook the pusher. I can drive it right on, park it, chain it all down, and go to the next stop. We use dedicated salt trucks on certain routes, so the truck that is hauling the skid around, is dedicated to doing just that.

So if you can swing it, it is an option I would look in to. I did look at the Kage System, but ended up going with the Snow Wing.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  10. welder1122

welder1122 Senior Member

Heres my opinion. A far as a pusher they are great but the have draw backs if the operator has never ran one like angle of the bucket. It needs to be right... Plows are great but its just a plow... The Madge system is a pusher and a power angle plow. Which means you have a power angle plow

11. hotrod15650

hotrod15650 Junior Member
    from PA

Pushers are def the way to go. we use Steel-Tec pushers and also have a couple 2 yard buckets from them. All great equipment at a reasonable price. Check them out www.steel-tec-usa.com