1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pusher boxes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by n y snow pros, Jan 9, 2000.

1. n y snow pros

n y snow pros Senior Member

We use Protec and Avalanch pusher boxes on our front end loaders,ranging in 12 to 16 feet widths which can push up to about 17 yards of snow at a time. has anyone have any experience with the bigger boxes ( up to 24feet)do they work as well or has any one had any problems with the smaller boxes like ours?<p>----------<br>J PARKER<br>914-485-4200

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

what does a pusher in the 12-16' range cost? I thought about getting one for my loaders. I currently have a 9 foot blade on my Kubota 544 loader, and a 12 foot blade on my cat loader. I wonder if having a pusher and a blade would be a good idea. What do you guys think?<p>Geoff

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Pusher boxxes are the way to go in large commercial applications. If you are not useing them you are way behind the times. They go for less than 5k and will at least double your effenciency. the only way its not worth it is if you are being payed by the hour, cause they save way to much time, unless you charge alot more for the machine and pusher. A large piece of equipment with a plow blade is way to slow and ineffecient. I dont have a property yet where I can use one, but as soon as I land a large retail/commercial lot, that will be my first purchase. You can e mail protech and get a video. Way cool stuff. Or join SIMA and get one sent to you from protech.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

4. GeoffD

The thing is that both loaders are assisted by trucks. The loaders also sit on site all year. Except for the cat it does two condos, once 1 mile down the road from the other. If i had that cat it 10 different sites i would buy one in a second. Maybe i get one next year.<p>Geoff

5. n y snow pros

Protect pushers start at about $3000.00 and go up to $9900 for a 16or18ft box that folds to 8ft so you can travel down the road while its still attached to the machine.One 12ft box will do the work of 4 loaders such as a 928cats. plows on loaders are quite honestly a waste of time.These pusher boxes also double as a great piece of avertising as we put our name right on the moldboard in 25&quot; letters and then leave them on site like a giant billboard.Where we had 3 loaders and 4 trucks we now have one 12ft box and one truck and they finish the job in the same amount of time.<p>----------<br>J PARKER<br>914-485-4200

6. GeoffD

Well maybe next year i will get one. The thing is the parking lots that the cat does are almost perfect rectangles. It only takes the guy for hours to do both of them very well. If it took him any less there wouldn't be much for him to do after. Its kinda hard to get a guy to come and plow for 2 hours. This way it takes him 8 hours to plow both condos, clear the sidewalks, treat the sidewalks and then head home. Anyways this year i am not about to buy anything with no snow, maybe next year. The loader worked better than the guy who did the condos for two storms with an f 350 dump truck. <p>Geoff

7. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Boss has a &quot;construction-grade power V&quot; My V plows on my pickups are great, pushers are only good in one direction, I'm thinking to next season now and putting a &quot;power V &quot; on our 4X4 backhoe, it will have some of the advantages of a pusher in the scoop position but will still roll snow to either side when needed.<br>Bill

8. GeoffD

I am going to check out that boss v-plow that might be the thing to put on the loader. It can go both ways, and fold into a scoop when traveling the road, a lot better than a 12' blade.<p>Geoff

9. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

J Parker,<p>We have a 20' folding Pro-Tech and love it. The operator generally folds only 1 side at night and both sides of course during the day. I think the 20' is rated at 28 cubic yards. You needs a decent size loader for it. We have it on a Komatsu 340.<p>You said plows on loaders are a waste of time. I'll have to disagree there. We have a 16' Daniels mounted on a little Cat 914. Sure, it does less work than a pusher, but it's far more versatile. Plus, with a plow, you need far less loader than with an equal width pusher.<p>As far as that big BOSS, be advised there is no trip mechanism for that unit. The Pro-Tech has a 10&quot; rubber cutting edge and the Daniels has trip springs. I think you might need to modify that unit somewhat to make it acceptable for parking lot/commercial plowing.

10. n y snow pros

You can back blade with a pusher box as we do it all the time,it is not a 1 directional unit.I should have rephrased that about large plows on loaders,i am sure the daniels works great on small machines,but on a larger loader pushers seem to be more efficient.Do you use the pusher with one side closed?<p>----------<br>J PARKER<br>914-485-4200

11. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

No, we don't operate it w/ 1 side closed. Transportation only. BTW- Daniels makes a patented spring-loaded side plate option.

12. n y snow pros

Lazer do the hinges load up with snow,making them hard to open or close?<p>----------<br>J PARKER<br>914-485-4200

13. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

No, it's never been a problem. <br>A Pro-Tech isn't as &quot;polished&quot; as a Daniels. (w/ their built-in hammer and custom tapered pins, extra pin/clip on plow, etc.)<br>But never the less, the pins pop right out and you can tip/scoop the bucket angle to help the swinging the extentions. Never even had an inconvience in the 2 years we've owned it.

14. GeoffD

I went to protech web site, they have some pictures of the pushers in action. Judgeing from these picture, i don't think the pusher scrapes very well, esspecial with bobcat model, you couldn't even see any tar. My 12' blade may be out of date and slower, but it can show tar. I don't know lazer how do the pusher scrape? do they scrape well?<p>Geoff

15. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

It is a concern. The cutting edge is slotted rubber that needs periodic adjustment. Also the operator needs to have the bucket tilted properly. (That's another reason I like the Daniels.) <p>We salt almost all the sites we plow with the Pro-Tech, so that makes a big difference, too.

16. GeoffD

I am starting to think that 12' blade of mine is all i need for two parking lots.<p>Geoff

17. paul

paul PlowSite.com Veteran

I love my Protech pushers, move more snow with them than with 2 trucks. I plow condos and apartments lots of cars in the way plows can push snow away from the cars but big pile in the middle of the drive pushers just move the snow away. As far as down to the black top the edge must be adjusted right and the bucket held level with the pavement. <br>Now if we ever get any snow!!<p>Some years I just love those contracts, you get paid snow or no snow!!<p>paul

18. paddy

paddy Junior Member

what is a pusher box? where can I see a picture?<br>i'm guessing it goes out in front of a loader, does it have any moving parts?

19. Matt

Matt Member

I have been interested in getting a protect for my jd 4400 compact, i was wondering if anyone has experience with a pusher on a tractor of this size. The company says that they are in the process of developing a pusher for the smaller compacts that are in use. Thanks Matt