1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pusher box wear shore replacement?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sk187, Apr 6, 2013.

1. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

How do you deal with wear shoes for pusher boxes every year?

I had a local shop make me new ones for about half of what scoop dogg wanted and have had them rebuild them every season since.

Now the shoes they made are shot and I need them to either make new again or buy from scoop dogg.

Scoop Dogg wants about $500 a shoe and I have 2 boxes, about $2000 worth of shoes a year.

2. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

3. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

Hey Tyler, is it possible to weld some "hard facing" on the shoes? Similar to what gets done to excavator and loader buckets?

4. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I have one unit with the Pro-Tech extended HD shoes, have ran many, many seasons on them and have a lot more left in them. And its not a light use application, pushes from start to well past the end of every event.

5. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

I think I would be looking at buying a different brand rather than replacing parts that often. I have a protech with one season of use now and nothing is anywhere close to looking worn out.

6. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Give Ebling a call.

7. fireside

fireside Senior Member

They are not using ar400 steel. Same steel that plow cutting edges are made from. You want to go cheap look for some old cutting edges. Town or state edges work the best 5/8 thick they change them out with a 1 or so worn off. Most DPW garages have piles of them for free. Than just cut and weld up the shoes out of that Just a word of caution after welding on AR400 it needs to go in the oven on 400 degress for 15 minute than turn it off and leave it in the oven to slow cool. That allows all the properties of the steel to back as it was before the heat of cutting and welding.

I made two set of shoes this year for a friends boxs out of them. I also make my blizzard wing edges from them

8. joe2025

joe2025 Member
    from NEPa

We get a few years out of the shoes even before we have to build them up. I run rubber cutting edges on the pushers and train the guys to ride on the rubber and not the shoes. Could it be the adjustment height on the boxes is not set correctly? Just a thought. It's a lot cheaper to replace the rubber than the shoes every couple years.

9. Protech Inc.

Protech Inc. Senior Member

If you are considering Pro-Tech wear shoes please visit www.snofacts.com for more information on why we feel our shoes are the best in the industry. Our abrasion resistant shoes are through hardened unlike some competitors which are surface hardened leaving soft steel only after a small fraction of the steel is worn.