1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pushen in April or May.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GeoffD, Mar 15, 2001.

1. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

We will be pushen back bankings in april or may.

Some of our commercial clients have informed us that they would like their lots back to the orginial size as soon as possible. Currently the lots are getting smaller, because we can't stack any higher, and have no place to haul snow too. So as the piles get shorter, our customers want us to push the backings back.

This may last till april or may.

2. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Well, at least it's work. We just got another dusting out here, with maybe an inch or two on the way. I think this is about all we'll see for this season. Be thankful you have the work to do. It's hard to make money with no white stuff to move...

3. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

We might get whacked with 7-8" tonight into tomorrow.
    It'll be like concrete. Probably won't get all the guys to come out.
    Glad it's a weekend storm.
  4. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

The fed-up factor is pretty apparent here too this year.

In April, I do the opposite to hauling away at my shop. I take the B/H and pile snow in the shade. I bring home 3-4 bales of shavings from the mill and spread it over the pile. My annual goal is to be able to enjoy cold beer chilled to perfection while making snowballs on my birthday in July. I love winter.
  5. 4 Saisons

4 Saisons Senior Member

Deere john, I like the idea about keeping some snow. You may send some with the renewal during the summer. figure that, a truck bed full of snow during july and you knock at the customer doors with your contract, lol watch is face, he will probably sign the contract right now..

lol Denis
  6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

The sun this time of year is as strong as the late-September sun. Whatever isnt plowed by noon will all be melted.
  7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Will take longer than noon to melt 6+ inches of snow. Might be gone by 3 pm but that depends on whether or not you have direct sunlight.
    In 92-93 we had a harsh winter, with an April 1st heavy snowstorm.
    In 95-96 we had the heaviest annual snowfall on record, and 81" of that came April 11 that year.
    2000-01 has been a snowy winter as well, I do not discount the possibility of an april snow storm.
    In fact we may get a few inches Sat night into sunday.
  8. John Allin

We got 4" of slop late this afternoon. Out cleaning it up now. Supposed to get 4" more Saturday afternoon.

I'd bet a lot this is our last plowable event this season.

Interestingly enough, most of our people came out too. They want the "little extra cash" for spring.
    So do we.
  9. 4 Saisons

4 Saisons Senior Member

hummm, I'm anxious to see if customer will cut on their summer budget to balance this costly winter. some pay twice than usually this winter.

BTW where is my storm? We have usually one around this date and nothing coming in my way ( may be some dust tomorow) so it will be ok for the university this week.

Now the job of the day is to find the mainhole,drain, de-ice gutters, etc etc, too much snow will melt too fast. Few grass are now visible on south exposure, only the first 6" from the street, but it's nice to see it again.

10. SCL

SCL Senior Member

Hey Tim
    I got your snow over to the west here. Plowed 3" yesterday and went out this morning and cleaned up another 2 to 3 today. Wet ornery stuff. My accounts on gravel were nightmares even with the shoes all the way down. Frost is still coming out and everything is soft. Blacktop accounts were melted off by mid PM. I think this was it.
  11. John Allin

No such luck here. We plowed yesterday afternoon, and again this morning. Sun is supposed to be out today, so that'll help some. BUT.... we got more snow in the forecast for Thursday and Friday....

Gonna finish the winter like we started it..... tired and always in the trucks.

Only bad thing about ending with this much snow is that spring work gets pushed back - including quoting and designing. We'll get the same number of inquiries that we normally get between mid March and mid April.... only they will all come when it stops snowing.... if it stops mid March, we can pace ourselves. If it stops April 1st, all the inquiries are crammed into two weeks, making it very hard on our people. Then end up working winter hours to stay ahead of the volume of quotes that need written.

Great thing about ending with a bang is that it's nice seed money in April as the money comes in (except for those butt brains that think the last storm should be paid for in a month that starts with "S").

[Edited by John Allin on 03-18-2001 at 06:35 AM]
  12. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Well it's all down hill from here on out.Ground temp is warming up and day temps are in the 40's.

Just hope April and May aren't too wet so we can start our pavement maitenance.

Just think June will be here before you know it!:D