1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Push type salt spreader for sidewalks. Opinions please

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ducaticorse, Nov 1, 2012.

1. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

I have several accounts this year which require salting of several hundred feet of sidewalk. I am looking for a well built walk behind that will handle commercial work. I was thinking of putting a spreader on my cat 463, but I think I would like to try a slightly less expensive set up first. At the longest, the walks are 200 feet per respective location as far as capacity is concerned.

2. peterng

peterng Senior Member

I'm going into my 4th season with the Meyers Hotshot. Might get a couple of more years out of it but it has seen a fair amount of use. I like it. I heard it is made for them and it is a more generic landscape spreader.
    Pete

3. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

Does anyone dare to give me an unbiased review of the unit sold by the site sponsor "discount snow stakes? Looks pretty good, and is reasonably priced $179 as far as im concerned...

4. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

Never used it I have a Shindaiwa RS75 and love it 5 years old plastic Hooper and a stainless steel frame. Not cheep I thank it was 250.00. Now they are around 275-300

5. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

get a plastic 5qt oil jug with the big handle so a gloved hand fits...leave the cap on and cut the bottom half off...find a smaller plastic bucket that will carry about 15#'s of ice melt.....tidy cat bucket works well....now you can spread to the needs of the job....light where there isn't a problem and heavy where the water sets..and save material

6. eastcoastjava

eastcoastjava Senior Member
    from Boston

i run a lesco broadcast with an 80 pound hopper, it has a poly hopper and the frame is stainless steel with large tires. i think i got mine for around 300, and well worth it. i do drive sand walkways with it, but i am in the process of making a box so it broadcast straight out. wash it out each storm and its ready to go, plus i use it year round for fert

7. havenlax18

havenlax18 Senior Member

The best one is the earth-way HIGH output ones (blue in color). Cheap also.

8. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

The blue Earthway HO in my opinion is junk. They are built cheap and the hoppers are very thin. For what they cost you could pay a little more and get a stainless Lesco spreder.

9. 2_Djinn

2_Djinn Senior Member

Ive used the cheaper earthways (round hopper) with the defectors. If you can get a good deal on these they have worked good for me. I need a new spreader this year and am apprehensive about getting nice spreader for salt.

10. havenlax18

havenlax18 Senior Member

I had to reinforce mine with new bolts and some spray paint. Other then that they spit out salt better then my lescos and agri-fabs. I have andersons and they work very good but cost 500 a spreader.

11. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

Earthway and the buyers salt dog you get from northern supply are junk!!! The open gear has issues staying in contact with the teeth. They are both made by the same company. I agree with The other guys that have said lesco. Have three of them and have never had a issue with them. Wash them out after every use and They will last you years. You can sometimes pick them up a little cheaper off Craigslist

12. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape Senior Member

We bought 1, it was an absolute nightmare!!! Never worked right. Problems with it literally every single time we tried to use it. After the fourth storm we contacted them and wanted to return it. (Still looked brand new) they would not take it back. We threw it in our dumpster 3 weeks after we got it.

13. perrysee

perrysee Senior Member

i just use a scotts lawn spreader cheap and easy to use ,all plastic ,so no rust, cheaper to replace too

14. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Have to agree with lawnlandscape

Sometimes it is not the spreader but what you are putting into it

Go for the plastic bottle cut out as mentioned in this thread. I wish I did instead of buying that spreader.

15. JayN.E

JayN.E Junior Member
    from NY

I have a snowex drop spreader and love it. It might be up there in price when comparing to the others though.

16. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I run a spiker for years But this year put a 12 volt spreader on the ATV 10x faster
    My sidewalk crew can plow and drop icemelt at same time

17. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

this is my first season doing a commercial lot and I went with a blue earth way with edge guard and top cover. ran me $400 but its an all around spreader so it should be worth it.

I know guy on here thinks there crap but I disagree. it's a very good solid spreader that will last me years. much better than the others I've seen and have available to me.

18. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

We use the blue Buyers Ice Buster which is identical to the black one offered by Discount Snow Stakes and also you will see it sold under other brands as well. We got a brand new one this year and in less than 2 months the hole in the bottom of the hopper where the spinner shaft comes through had worn out to about twice its original diameter causing everything to be loose so it wouldn't shut off and the handle was loose due to too small of hardware and the bolt holes egging out.

We have had all the above issues with others. Once they get to that point all it takes is an hour in the shop and a few dollars in parts to turn them into a solid reliable spreader. Epoxy a large fender washer in the bottom of the hopper and a stainless bushing on the shaft and beef up the handle with larger bolts and you'll be off to the races for a good long while. If the bushing wears out just replace it. I wish these were better quality but we buy them anyway because they seem to have the best working / most adjustable deflector kit of any we've used. The red Earthway deflector kit has little notches that click to hold the deflector where you set it and the little notch breaks off so the deflector just falls down into the full down position and we haven't figured out a way to fix it short of replacement.

19. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

I'll have to check but I don't think my earth way deflector kit has notches at all. in fact I think it only has 2 settings. "open" or "closed".

20. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

I use a 50lb Spyker spreader which i also use for fertilizer. Ive had it for about 3 years, little to no rust after moderate fert use. this is the first year ive used it for salt, i run dry calcium chloride with CMA through it with no issues.