1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Push spreader tires and expanding foam?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by terrapro, Oct 24, 2013.

1. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Has anyone just filled them up with expanding foam instead of replacing the tubes every year?

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I want to hear this
    I thought about it but never tried it

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Why not just slime them?

4. lilpusher

lilpusher Senior Member
    from Indiana

Regular expanding foam will not hold up to use and will compact with weight.

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

so add more......had to say it.

that stuff tends to flake and crumble once it dries.

6. terrapro

from MI

So if it just flakes off and crumbles it cant just disappear its still in the tire?
    No slime...the valves just seem to rot off and $10per every year if not twice... I don't know, if I have to just keep on replacing them I will but I was just looking for another way cause this is a pain in the butt...those little 4.10 or whatever they are are ***** to get in and out.

7. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

It flakes and crumbles out in the weather BUT inside a tire I wonder if it would crumble
    Since there no light or air to break it down

8. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Funny this is posted, because I was going to ask if anyone has filled push spreader tires with the same foam filling that goes in skid/etc tires????? I cant imagine it would cost much? The amount of foam it takes to fill 1 skid tire, would probably do 20+/- push spreader tires??..??...

9. terrapro

from MI

Probably more like 200+. That would be cool cause Im tired of flat tires at 3am only to have the valves fall off in my hand when I go to fill them...

10. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I'm getting a price quote today....will let you know.

11. snocrete

snocrete Banned

$25 per tire....a bit more than I expected. I might try 2 or 3 spreaders, but not gonna drop the coin to do them all at this point.

Surprised nobody has chimed in, that's tried this before.?.?

12. terrapro

from MI

$25 is more then I expected but really isn't bad especially since a good quality tube replaced every year can be $15

13. snocrete

snocrete Banned

What about the extra weight it would add?

14. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

LOL and here I thought I was the only one redneck-enough to try this! I filled 4.10xwhatever tires on a mower deck. It has four of em. Tired of the constant flats. I used low-expanding Mono foam. Worked great with no tube in the tire! It didn't get everywhere in the tube where we tried it, made for a crappy tire with soft voids. I only did it this summer, so no idea on longevity or cold weather... and I never really intended it to be perminant. I ordered up some Marathon flat-free tires for it, they are on clearance at Northern Tool at the moment (my 11" tall ones were only $17 each!). They are on rims with bearings, they'd need to be modified to be drive tires on an axle. They are also smooth but you could probably stud them for a push spreader.