1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

push plate measurement needed please

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by vtjeeper, Jan 16, 2011.

1. vtjeeper

vtjeeper Junior Member
    from vermont

I have a 2008 gmc sierra 1500 extended cab, short box 4x4. I just bought a complete 7.5' fisher mm1 off a 94 ford f150. I plan to cut the front part of the push plates off and build from that mounts for my truck. But, I am not sure how far out the front edge of the mount should be, or exactly how far below the frame rail it should be. looking at the fisher site info it looks like about an inch below the frame and maybe 2 inches past the front of the tow loops. Could someone with a similar truck and fisher mounts take a couple measurements to help me out? I also have looked at the schematics and plan to cut and splice into my truck's wiring and use the wiring from the ford harness. I was kindof wondering what the big deal was with the daytime running lights, if I just pretend there are no daytime running lights and just hitch the truck low beam wires to the low beam wires inthe harness going to the module won't it work just fine? low beams and do the high beams and markers and turns of course. I'm not worried about making my own mounts by the way, I have steel and can cut and weld just fine, $550 for those is ridiculous. Thanks in advance

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

sell the ford mounts. then buy the chevy ones. buy and sell for 250-300 all the time on ebay. be faster in the end.

and as to the old wiring from that vintage ford to 08 chevy good luck . most newer stuff is not neg switched on the lights and such. the older vehicles were positive switched. this is the reason for the iso modules.

3. stacks04

stacks04 Senior Member
    from ct

Dude save yourself alot of headaches and not do what your planning on doing. Not only will cutting and splicing into your harness void the warranty of your vehicle it will cause numerous problems and not work right. Sell the ford stuff and buy the right things for your vehicle. Please for the safety of you and your family as well as mine and everyone else's that have to drive on the same highway as you.

4. metalmeltr

metalmeltr Junior Member
    from ohio

I can take meaurements, it is somewhat of a complicated mount to install(Boss).

5. vtjeeper

vtjeeper Junior Member
    from vermont

That would be appreciated. yesterday I had a little bit of time so I pulled the lower part of the bumper off and cut the ford mounts in half and cleaned up the part I will reuse. they're all ready to clamp in place and start cutting and fitting some plate. maybe I'll post some pics of the process so some people can see it's just steel. cut, grind, weld

6. metalmeltr

metalmeltr Junior Member
    from ohio

What measurments do you need specifically, dont know how much good i can do since it is a Boss plow

7. vtjeeper

vtjeeper Junior Member
    from vermont

I just looked at the boss plows online. if it's a smart hitch then I guess it's too different to be of use. I just need to know for fisher mounts how far the pinhole should be in front or and below the frame rail. I should have time to work on it this weekend, so without anyone else's measurements I'll just try to measure off the plow and hope it doesn't hit the bumper when I'm done. can't believe there aren't more new gm trucks with fishers on them.

8. metalmeltr

metalmeltr Junior Member
    from ohio

Most of the new plows I see here in Ohio are Boss, acording to our dealer, mutiple brands- Boss is the best and Meyer is trash, no comments of other brands

9. vtjeeper

vtjeeper Junior Member
    from vermont

I've got nothing against boss, if I was buying new I'd totally consider them but I already got a used fisher. mostly fisher's around vt. not really any meyers. a few boss, snow way, curtis, and blizzards. :drinkup: