1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Push Frame Break

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Afsnowpushers, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Afsnowpushers

Afsnowpushers Junior Member

Any Boss guys see this happen or is it just me 3 times, 3 different boss plows all of them are v plows

Boss Plow 006.jpg

2. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

ive only had mine 4-5 years and torqued mine along with the horizontal pin a friend of mine did the same damage with an identical plow too

what are you hitting/riding up on/ lord knows what with those plows????

3. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Did you try lift plow while stack snow? You must have hit something really HARD to do that.

If it was employer that did. Ask them what happened. Mostly they make up stories.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes it happens, that's where the trip edges will help. On units I know will be pounded harder than average I plate the outsides of the pushframe ahead of time.

5. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

3 times sound like I would changed brands after the 2nd time

6. mackclmodel

mackclmodel Senior Member

Do you think thats just from tripping ??? Has this ever happened on there straight blades ?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  7. Afsnowpushers

Well I was driving when two of them broke. I was stacking on one and just plowing a parking lot on the other. When the third one broke it was an employee, he was stacking when it broke. Everything we plow is rough 300 hundred jobs plus will calls. We have a handful that are paved. Most of my jobs are dirt driveways. I am going to start adding metal to the sides for added strength. I will shot a pic of the one we have already done. I bought a push frame to have in stock since I am 5 hours from my boss dealer.

8. mackclmodel

I'm looking into possibly a Boss straight blade for next year & I'll be plowing streets for my town. I wonder how it will hold up to municipal plowing if A-frame breaks plowing lots. Do you have any Boss straight blades ?

9. Afsnowpushers

I do not have any straights, I am happy w/boss performance other than the push Fran breaking

10. mackclmodel

3 times aint right :eek:. I hope B&B responds to our questions, because I'm seriously considering a Boss plow for my truck

11. kurtandshan

kurtandshan Senior Member

Did you install these yourself? Any alterations to the plow or trucks? This just seems odd. There has to be a common denominator.

12. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

Yup, BOSS.....

The full trip is the problem. DXT should solve that.

13. kurtandshan

Not going to get into a brand war but if that we're true it would be more common. All I'm saying, three times to one guy there has to be more than just chance.

14. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

Actually is it common with the Boss V's. If it doesn't snap, it gets bent. Clean it up, weld it, plate it, good to go. Not starting a brand war, just commenting from all the different posts I have read.

15. Afsnowpushers

The first one was under warranty, but boss told me it was abuse!! Snow plow and abuse go in the same sentence if you ask me. I will post picture of our fix, I am going to do this to my other 3 plows before they break again.

16. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

ive broke mine a few times. just broke it again a couple nights ago on a manhole cover. pretty much breaks from hitting things. This time i actually split the plate i added on the outside. my plow is 13 years old though,

17. cecilmac

cecilmac Member
    from nj

Hell w the plow frame u better go get ur front end checked holy ****..

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No, but the lack of. It requires quite a bit of force to get a V to trip, so all those "lesser" impacts that would normally be absorbed on an edge trip are transmitted to the pushframe. Therefore it sees allot of stress. The design of the pushframe itself only manifests those stress's to a specific location. And that's where they break.

The straight blades are fine though. Their pushframes are completely different and their moldboards trip more freely so finding a broken pushbeam on those are pretty rare. You may wear out the pivot point in the nose like with any plow but to physically break one isn't common.

19. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Man, we hit things, bend things but never BROKE an A frame, bent more than one though. Could these trip springs be getting set too tight? I mean if lack of trip is the cause, make it easier to trip????

One guy and three broken A frames is gotta be an anomoly or however that's spelled.

20. kurtandshan

Ok I am no expert but I can't see the trip itself being the trouble. Repeatedly Allowing the moldboard to slam BACK from tripping seems like more of an issue. I trip my V plenty but I take the time to ensure it doesn't slam back. Reminds me of the " old bull and young bull sitting on top of the hill....."