1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Push Button 4X4

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chevyman51, Jan 25, 2011.

1. chevyman51

chevyman51 Senior Member

I am looking at a truck with push button 4x4
    has any one who has it had any problems with
    it anything I should be worried about?

2. chevy$men

chevy$men Senior Member

yes i had it but didnt have any problems

3. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

My 2002 Sierra with 197,000 miles has been great. It gets in and out of 4WD dependably and quickly at any speed. The Auto4WD (don't know if you're looking at one with that option) is great for spotty roads...when others would drive around in 4WD with it binding sometimes or 2WD with wheelspin sometimes, I get the best of both worlds.

Only problem, which is not related to the electronicness of it, is a failing pinion bearing in my front differential...a relatively common problem with any differential.

4. chevyman51

chevyman51 Senior Member

Ok thanks for the info

5. 330kDMAX

330kDMAX Junior Member
    from NH

Im assuming youre looking at a Chevy. What year is it? I have an 02 with push button 4x4. The buttons stopped working and I was stuck in 4wd until I replaced the switch. However, my truck has 330,000 miles on it. Things are going to fail at the point and it was an easy fix. Manual shift 4wd trucks can get stuck in or wont shift into 4wd. So I wouldnt worry about it at all. Definitely wouldnt let it be the deciding factor in buying a new truck.

6. chevyman51

chevyman51 Senior Member

Its a 95 and it won't be I have just never
    Had a truck with it befor so I figured
    I would ask

7. s. donato

s. donato Senior Member

i had a 96 chevy with pushbutton and the only issue i had with it in the 5 years i had it was when my battery leaked acid on the switching cable and rotted away. ;-)

8. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Never had an issue with it n my 2000 NBS 2500. Currently 137,000 on the clock.

9. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Buddy of mine with a 2000 chevy. Service 4wd light came on. It was a sensor under the dash...at the cool price of $483. I had a 2001 and had problems with it. I traded it while it was still somewhat working. I like having the lever myself.

10. bigblock73

bigblock73 Member

I love my 2000 1500 with the dash switch
    The auto 4x4 is great

11. t-sig

t-sig Senior Member
    from 607

Just curious, what would a sensor under the dash be sensing with regards to 4 wheel drive?

I have it on my 2000 NBS. I did have to replace the push button switch, $80 bucks or so, no other issues. I wouldn't be afraid of it.

12. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

It was probably actually the Transfer Case Control Module.

13. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Im not sure what the actual name was, but they said it was something under the dash. Supposedly it is an GM only part.

14. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

193,000 on my 2000 2500 and the push button 4x4 still works great. Before this truck I was a believer in the manual lockout hubs and shift lever; not anymore! the push button is just fine.

If you have an 'magnesium transfer case' truck be sure to fix the pump rub issue though...

15. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I have almost 118,000 miles on my 98 K1500 with the push button 4x4 and have never had a problem with it.

Wayne

16. chevyman51

chevyman51 Senior Member

17. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

that's what I paid for my 2000 NBS 2500 in DEC of 2008...The only thing I would really worry about is the 'Has miss in engine once in a while at low rps not sure if just needs tune up" -find out more about that, could lead to something expensive..

IDK about that price; but if it matches the market in your area go ahead.

18. chevyman51

chevyman51 Senior Member

I was kinda worried about that to. And around here people are paying stupid money for trucks like that.:realmad:

19. Shoreline

Shoreline Member

My 96 just got wrote off from an accident last week. It's the one in my avatar. It was a good truck, had the push button 4X4 like this one and never had any issues with it. I had 390k km on this truck. You can certainly find them for less money if you're willing to travel a bit. I wouldn't pay that much for it. JMO

20. chevyman51

chevyman51 Senior Member

I doubt I will I will make a cash offer if I don't get a bad feeling about the truck and if he says no oh well I am noy out anything