1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

push button 4 wheel

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by lawnmasters2006, Feb 27, 2008.

1. lawnmasters2006

lawnmasters2006 Senior Member

my 96 push button 4 wheel drive is messin w me..im :realmad:
    i can get it to go in to low lock , but not 4 wheel high...replaced the transfercase motor a 2 weeks ago an it went out again..got a new one coming tomorow.
    there not cheap...payup
    it does have a ruff clunking sound when it does go int 4 low...but when u want to put it in 4 high it goes right to 2wd...an blinks alot...
    WILL NEVER BUY A PUCH BUTTON 4 WHEEL AGAIN...JUNK
    ANY IDEAS OR LEADS WOULD HELP OUT ALOT...THANKS:gunsfiring:

2. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

Yeah I agree push button SUCKS:gunsfiring: Id look into doin a swap myself, Im running a manual T-Case and would never buy the push button junk.

3. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

ya i wish mine was lever shift with manual locking hubs. i havent had any problems yet but i am sure i will. our brand new 2008 F-350 got stuck in low range the other week and its push button 4wd. versus the other ones that are a manual shift have had no problems.

4. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

manual locking hubs?
    to each their own i guess. i was happy to be rid of them.
    and i actually like push button. i dont have push button now but in past trucks i had no problems with it and thought it was very convenient. imagine if it dont work then yeah, it would suck.

EDIT: I DID HAVE ONE PROBLEM ONCE WITH PUSH BUTTON. I LOST MY TEMPER AND HIT THE DASH AND THE BUTTON WENT IN. CANT ENGAGE OR DISENGAGE WHEN THE BUTTON IS IN THE DASH.

5. lawnmasters2006

HAS ANYONE SWAPED THEM OUT AN PUT A MANUAL IN? WHONDER HOW HARD IT WOULD BE..???? .I GOT A MANUAL IN THE GARAGE FOR A BACK UP FOR ANOTHER TRUCK

6. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I have push button 4x4 in my 98 Z71 and at 103,000 miles have never had a problem with it. The 4 HI part of your dash switch could be bad.

Wayne

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Did it start "missing" 4 Hi before or after you replaced the encoder motor?

GM motor or aftermarket? Never had any luck with the aftermarkets ones. Only use GM ones. Gave up on the aftermarket and rebuilt ones a long time ago, just not reliable.

Keep us posted after you get the new motor installed....

8. lawnmasters2006

been buying after market ones...yea it was missing 4 high....when i try to put it in 4 high the light blinks crazy,an goes back to 2wd...but i can but it in 4 low.....but now the motor is screwed up...striped it sounds like...got a new one coming today at 3 pm...

9. Hank

Hank Junior Member
    from MA

I have a 97 K1500 with the push button junk. I had to replace the encoder motor and the transfercase control module on mine.($$$$) Luckly I have a freind who is a parts manager for a local chevy dealership. Sounds like the same problems I had...blinking 4 H... wouldn't engage 4 L.... then shut the truck off... goes back to 2 H. But since I replaced those parts no problems 2+ yrs. (knock on wood)
    Hope this helps.
    Hank

10. lawnmasters2006

WERE IS THAT AT..ON TOP OF TRANSFER CASE? transfercase control module
    WHT DOES IT DO?:confused:

11. Hank

Hank Junior Member
    from MA

It's inside the cab up underneath the dash on the left side near the e-brake. I probably spent about a good 1/2 hr trying to find it. It's a silver box with a multi wire connection PITA to replace with contorsionist type moves with your hands. It controls the encoder motor, actuator, and dash switch.
    I thought my dash switch was bad when this happened but it wasn't. When I brought it over to my friend at the dealership (parts manager) he confirmed that he sells more TCCM's and encoder motors than dash switches....another Great Malfunction brought to you by GM.

Good Luck!

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008