1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Push boxes, with or without trip?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Im assuming that rubber cutting edges are in place because they dont need a trip mechanism, and steel ones all have the trip edge? Is one much better than the other since ive always heard so far that most run the rubber edges?

We are looking to get a Protech push box locally, a company has a bunch, for the same price theyll give us either an 8 or 10' model, at that rate, id take the 10' even though its a little too big in capacity for our JD tractor. Im not looking to max it out and push a mountain of snow with it into huge piles, i can always quick tach the 84" snow bucket back on for that later.

Pushing 2-12" though the 10' box should be fine, its only 150lbs heavier than the 8' model.

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

After having both I would never own rubber again, steel trip is the answer if you can afford it. JMO

3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

steel , i fabricated one up myself.... it would eat the rubber alive

4. big pusher

big pusher Senior Member
    from ohio

I agree with JD. I own 2 rubber edge protechs and all future boxes will be steel trip edges.

5. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Whats the down side of rubber? i thought its supposed to "squeegie" the snow/water off better, not be so rough on the machine or the surface? Are there problems with performance or are they rough on the machine or just wear out the rubber fast if its not wet out?

6. mike ward

mike ward Member

We have 4 protech rubber edge and just bought an arctic segmented plow and 2 avalanche trip edge steel. With just a year of box plowing we feel the rubber just leaves too much on the lot to re-freeze and become a sheet of ice. We'll see how it works out with 3 different types of plowes and 3 different edge types.

Mike

7. big pusher

big pusher Senior Member
    from ohio

Very true Mike. The rubber edge IMO causes us to waste salt and at today's prices I can't afford to be wasting salt.

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I also agree with Mike, steel trip will save you money in the long run, hands down. Anyone that says rubber is better doesn't even own a steel trip.

9. mike ward

mike ward Member

We only got 1.5" so far but used a couple different boxes around the shop and the Arctic segmented box cleans and follows the contours better that a same size rubber edge. I'm impressed so far.

Mike