1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Push Box Steel vs. Rubber Edge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RGATES, Nov 25, 2010.

1. RGATES

RGATES Member

Buying my first push box. Would like some input on rubber vs. steel edge. The box will be on my Cat loader and will be 16 foot wide.

Thanks

2. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

You would prob. want to go with rubber. Your box won't have much tilt action and the rubber edge will help on high spots and other things that would lift the entire box and cause poor clearing.

3. RGATES

RGATES Member

I have used rubber edges on my dump trucks, they do not clean that well especially when it is cold. If the temp. is around freezing they do well, its like a squeegee. You can not beat a steel edge when you are dealing with packed snow. I was thinking about a sectional to make up for all of the ups and downs but I am concerned about all of the moving parts, just something else to deal with. Boss has a new box out with floating sides and a sectional trip edge. That looks like the ticket but they only make it 12 feet wide. Decisions,decisions.

4. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Urethane is another option for edges. I have been running rubber(1.5 in thick) on my pushers since new, with decent results..the type of lot and how much salt is used/tracked onto it can effect performance.....when the rubber wears out, it will be getting replaced with urethane(1.5 in thick)....longer lasting and better scraping than rubber.

UHMW polyethelene is another option. I installed some of this on one of my Dads pushers last season(1.5 in thick). The pusher it was on didn't get much time in last season, but some of that time I got on it myself. I was very impressed with how it performed. Scraped just as good as steel, and seemed to wear well.....but dosent contour like rubber or urethane. Depending on how that edge holds up this year, I may consider doing one of my pushers up that way, instead of urethane.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  5. joester

joester Junior Member

I have been asking myself this same question as I have been contemplating adding some pusher boxes this season. I currently own 7 rubber edged pushers varying from 8'-14', and have had numerous instances where I have not been satisfied with the cleaning ability. Based on what I have read on here, it seems that a lot of guys are switching to the steel trip edged pushers to get the pavement cleared better.

I am currently comparing the following steel trip edged boxes - Avalanche, Pro-Tech, and Daniels. They all have their differences.

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Buy steel trip you won't be disappointed. After we got one steel trip we had to get rid of all our rubber edged blades. There is no comparison anyone that says rubber is better has not used a steel trip before.

7. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

Spend the extra dough and get a Sectional from Arctic. I'm assuming you are doing wide open lots, if not then 16ft will be a pain to maneuver.

8. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

I've got 2 Pro-Tech steel edge pushers. To be honest, I am really not impressed with the pushers overall. No matter how we adjust the cutting edge, it does not scrape down to pavement. They were new last season.

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We run Horst pushers and a couple Arctics and I'm guessing since our side plates float on all of them instead of being fixed makes our blades scrape better. Steel will always scape better then rubber except that once a year where you get a really wet sloppy mess and the rubber would be better for that.

10. mrsnowman

mrsnowman Senior Member

I have said it before on here, rubber and steel have no place on pushers. Urathane is garbage too. We tried everything before switching to blades made by Cutting edge poly. They are pretty expensive, but you won't be sorry. I can't speak of trip edges, having never used one. I could never justify the added expense after finding our poly edges. Look them up. It's worth it if you ask me.

11. snocrete

snocrete Banned

is this what your talking about?

12. mrsnowman

mrsnowman Senior Member

Yes, I believe it is. I know there are different variations of polyetheline, so make sure you get the right stuff if you don't order it from a supplier. We spent a few grand in the past trusting our local plastic guy to make our own and got screwed that's why we started buying from a cutting edge supplier. Their stuff is unbreakable. The other stuff we had wore too fast and chipped like crazy.

13. snowtech

snowtech Member

Mrsnowman is right, we got ours from cuttingedgepoly.com last year and its been great. good luck

14. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

The sideplates float on the Horst blades too? ...hmmm didn't know that!

15. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

We have 2 pro tech switch blades. They have both rubber and steel in one pusher. They work pretty well for us. Rubber is nice for the gravel parking lots. Another added bonus is that if you were ever to tear your rubber in the middle of a storm you can always flip it over and keep plowing. We also have a 10 ft Kage on our Bobcat A 300 and it cleans really well because all of the weight is on the cutting edge instead of the box. I think my next pusher will be another kage if it is for a 35,000 lbs or smaller loader.