1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Push Box Dilema

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Vaughn Schultz, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Alright folks this is the deal:rolleyes: I bought a skid steer this year for a large apartment complex that i have. This skid steer came with a very heavy duty trip edge snow plow probably 7 and a half feet. Now I really need to benefits of a push box but in all honesty I am kinda tapped for money, and having this perfectly good plow at the shop i started thinking. Could I use turkey wings? and beef them up a bit ? where can I buy turkey wings ?

I really don't like to take the cheap way out, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do:rolleyes:

Any ideas :confused: ??

Any one have a used push box ??:D

2. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

From what i understand is the turkey wings are hard to come by if not unavailable. I dunno...
    But why not just fab up some brackets and wings yourself or have a shop do it. Should be cheap enough, i wouldnt guess more than $150-$200 in labor if you buy the material.

3. Vaughn Schultz

I was tossing that idea around too.

4. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Get two pieces of 3' by 3' by 3/8" thick plate. Weld them on the sides of the plow. Then weld two piece per side of 1.5' tubing as the cross brace. (look at avlance pushers for a pic) Then make up a set of shoes for it by bolting on two pieces of angle iron to each side of side plates. Then cut up an old cutting edge. Weld the edge to the angle iron for home brewed shoes. Then cut off the skid plate. Then cut off all of the angle brackets. Then weld the skid plate to the back of the plow. Done you got your own home made push box. Its a lot of work (helped with one once based off a fisher 8' heavy duty) but you can build it with mostly scrap from around any shop. The one I helped a friend built costed him $100 for the skid plate and our time. Everything else was laying around the shop.

5. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

Damn, i feel a long night with the welder and some beer coming real soon. lol.:drinkup:

6. Vaughn Schultz

Bud Weiser Select ? :drinkup:, sunday we can watch the race, build a plow and finish up befor the sunday night bon fire.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
  7. Vaughn Schultz

Hey, thanks alot :D

8. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Tried that once with a skid steer blade. Was 7' or so with power angle piston (12" long or so) Don't remember the make. Welded 12" extensions angled forward with rubber cutting edges. In one season trshed two angle pistons that looked as if someone had stuffed apples in them. The pressure relief was not low enough on my machine to handle the sudden impact of stuff in the way. We resorted to dropping a pin in the a-frame which sheered quite often. My suggestion woul be to sell that plow and buy a used pusher. If you do not the plow will be trashed in a season. BTW, those small pistons were something like $225 ea.

9. PAGE2004

PAGE2004 Senior Member

Pro Wings .

743B WPLOW.jpg