1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Push Blowers & Backpacks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Toby, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Toby

Toby Senior Member
    from NY

Is anyone using push blowers or backpack blowers for light snow?

I am going to try my 13hp Little Wonders & Echo 750's this season.

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Tried backpack blowers on the walks of some condos one year, the light , fluffly stuff just kept getting sucked up to the air filter housing and shutting the blower down.

3. alwaysgreen

alwaysgreen Junior Member

Last year we had one storm blow through real fast and only left one inch of snow, we blew off the sidewalks with backpack blowers, worked great but I don't think it would work in much more than that .

4. CHINOOK SNOWMAN

CHINOOK SNOWMAN Junior Member

We have two Red Max back pack blowers, one is their biggest , I think it is called EB 700 and an older one that is less powerful. They work well in certain situations when the snow is light and not too deep but you want keep the sidewalk completely clear to prevent packed snow build-up. They do work well on steps which we have a lot of. Sometimes we blow steps with the backpacks and have someone else come behind and shovel the sidewalks by hand. Like any peice of equipement it takes some time to learn how to use them effectively. Won't work in all kinds of snow and when it is really cold the carbs freeze up. We keep them in the truck cab between job sites. If you do lawns in the summer they are good for blowing grass off sidewalks to make things look neat after cutting. I would say if you can afford to have a peice of equipement that you will only use in certain conditions they will save a lot of time for you.

5. Toby

Toby Senior Member
    from NY

Well, if the backpacks are working the 13hp push blowers should do a great job once a centre line is cleared.